What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
Have you ever thought you could be a great engineer? Have you always liked fixing things and figuring out how they work? If so, then we would love you to join our team and we'll support you to develop the skills to work on the UK's nuclear deterrent - helping us to keep our country safe and secure. AWE is the perfect place to start your engineering journey. Come and complete your Level 2 Engineering Operative Apprenticeship with us and take your first steps into a lifelong career in engineering.
This apprenticeship gives you a chance to earn while you learn, with qualified and experienced trainers helping to build your core engineering knowledge. As a qualified engineering operative, you will be an integral part of our asset maintenance team, helping to ensure plants and equipment are safe and ready to use. Once your training is complete, you will have experience in maintenance planning, diagnostic and fault-finding techniques, specific safe working practises, maintenance procedures, and environmental regulations that need to be observed.
Your new skills will include:
- fault location on appropriate equipment using suitable maintenance diagnostic techniques,
- maintenance activities in line with work instructions,
- testing maintained equipment in accordance with the test schedule or defined test procedure,
- following appropriate completion activities,
- and restoring equipment to service by replacing or repairing components.
The Level 2 Engineering Operative Apprenticeship is a great first step on your journey to maintenance engineering and facility management in partnership with AWE.
Level 2 entry requirements
- Age: Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of1 April 2024 due to security clearance requirements
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
What we offer
- We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £16,000.
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours per year) and excellent work/life balance including a nine-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- Access to employee discounts portal – for everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
All successful candidates will join us in April 2024. It is also important that you are available the week commencing 19 August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11 September, so we'll ask you not to request annual leave that week either.
Additional job details
- Berkshire · The role will be based at our sites in Berkshire, just outside of Reading. A part of the training will be provided at a different location but travel will be provided.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Would you like to learn more about our selection process? Watch our video to find out more.
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28 January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 January 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28 January 2024