The Higher Level Engineering Apprenticeship at Babcock is your opportunity to embark on a rewarding career in engineering. Our engineering apprentices are at the forefront of maintaining the Royal Navy's fleet and play an integral role in creating a safe and secure world.
About the Programme
Join our exciting 4-year Higher Level Engineering Apprenticeship programme, where you'll specialise in one of three distinct trades: Mechanical, Electrical, or Naval Architecture.
No matter the trade route you take, you'll be gathering, analysing and interpreting information and data to make impactful decisions and solve real-world problems.
You’ll be responsible for creating or updating technical documentation, reports, or specifications that include information on quality, reliability, production schedules, costing, and more. This could include setting out how a product must be designed, manufactured, tested, modified, maintained, stored, transported, commissioned, or decommissioned.
Along the way, you’ll gain skills that will set you up for the future which may include:
- Data analysis and interpretation – Extracting, analysing, and interpreting engineering and manufacturing data to draw accurate conclusions and make informed decisions.
- Project Management - Utilising project management tools for effective decision-making and risk assessment.
- Problem-solving - Applying problem-solving techniques such as Root Cause Analysis (RCA) Process Failure Modes Effects Analysis (PFMEA) and more, to identify root causes and enhance quality.
- Lean tools and techniques - Utilising lean tools and techniques such as Six Sigma and 8 Wastes to drive efficiency and minimise waste.
- Computer-based software system/packages – Utilising Computer Aided Design (CAD), Data Analytics, and Databases.
- Documentation control - Ensuring compliance with quality standards through proper documentation and processes.
- Financial planning – Undertaking financial planning, recording, and review processes and documentation such as departmental budgets, estimating, cost control and cost forecasting.
- Communication and stakeholder management - Communicating findings through various media, including presentations and reports.
Throughout the apprenticeship, you'll have the chance to work at various locations on our site, gaining valuable insights into all our operations.
It's a dynamic work environment, where every day brings new opportunities. From conducting external supplier inspections to driving efficiencies on our production shop floor, or even overseeing internal and external audits – your day will be filled with meaningful contributions.
What you’ll need
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s at grade C/4 (Or equivalent) including English and Maths and 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including Maths and a Science or Technology based subject.
Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS (Baseline security and many of them require you to be eligible for full Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.
In the first year, you'll spend your time at college, followed by one day per week in the second and third years, with the remaining four days onsite. The fourth year will be dedicated to onsite training.
During your apprenticeship, you'll have the opportunity to earn a HNC in Engineering. After successfully completing the apprenticeship End Point Assessment, you'll receive a nationally recognised certificate as a Level 4 Engineering Maintenance Technician.
Additional job details
We offer a competitive apprentice starting salary and benefits, this varies between £12,000 to £22,000 per annum, dependant on the apprenticeship level, discipline and location. You can find the specific salary on the individual job posting.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 March 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 March 2024