Ready to make a meaningful impact? Join us on our 4-year Test Engineering Graduate Apprenticeship and provide specialised engineering support services to the Ministry of Defence's submarine projects.
About the programme
Join us at HM Naval Base Clyde, where Babcock proudly stands as the Ministry of Defence’s commercial partner. We're at the forefront, providing highly specialist engineering support services. This includes the management of critical infrastructure and overseeing nuclear facilities, ensuring the nation's security and defence mechanisms are of the highest standard.
Stepping into the role of Commissioning Group Test Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the successful performance of key submarine commissioning tasks. These tasks are complex in nature and start with the work period planning through to customer acceptance, which may involve Sea Trials.
Your role will frequently involve:
- Researching, compiling, and executing test documentation
- Conducting fault diagnosis on system or equipment defects and proposing corrective solutions
- Ensuring that the requirements of the Work Specification align with the Ministry of Defence documentation, corporate documentation, and associated Plant Safety Reports/Cases
- Recording defects/deficiencies into our corporate recording system, ensuring that all emergent work is correctly recognised.
This role immerses you in many exciting areas of engineering, from navigating regulations to mastering submarine system designs. All of this equips you to become a well-rounded Commissioning Group Test Engineer, bringing depth and expertise to every task.
What you’ll need
- Higher Level Maths, English, and Science - Grade B or above.
- Another Higher subject at Grade B or above.
Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.
During this programme, you'll be studying for a BEng (Honours) in Engineering: Instrumentation, Measurement and Control at SCQF Level 10 from the esteemed University of Strathclyde.
Additional job details
We offer a competitive apprentice starting salary and benefits, this varies between £12,000 to £22,000 per annum, dependant on the apprenticeship level, discipline and location. You can find the specific salary on the individual job posting.
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 March 2024
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 March 2024