In the Maritime support arena, electrical engineers cover a broad spectrum of electrical engineering from generation of high voltage and then low voltage distribution to the ship to the interfacing of electronic systems to combat and communication systems.
Electrical engineering is essential to every product developed to be integrated in Maritime Platforms and the support and upkeep of weapon, propulsion, generation and auxiliary systems
- Imagine a ship without electrical supplies and services?
- Imagine a ship generation system that cannot provide the necessary power in both peacetime and wartime?
- Imagine a ship filled with electrical power, data circuits and fibre optics without the right levels of engineering competence to ensure the correct system engineering?
It’s our Electrical Engineers that solve these problems and using their knowledge and expertise of working with complicated systems, provide successful outcomes for both the business, and our customers.
Electrical Engineers work at the heart of all our support engineering, working at all stages of the product lifecycle, determining initial requirements, designing how a new capability interfaces with a ship, developing production standard solutions, and testing the finished product to its limits. They are specialists in their field, and are expected to have a detailed knowledge of the processes involved in creating and maintaining successful electrical products and services, and the ingenuity and creativity to devise methods of producing optimum performance in the systems and interfaces.
In the maritime support arena, electrical engineers cover a broad spectrum of electrical engineering from generation of high voltage and then low voltage distribution to the ship to the interfacing of electronic systems to combat and communication systems.
What you will be doing
Electrical Engineers are also heavily involved in the research and development of new technologies, pushing technological boundaries and support techniques to provide new capabilities for military use. Typical projects at Maritime Services could expect to work on include:
- Management of the electrical support work and updates to be carried out for a refit of an RN warship.
- Introduction of the military enhancements into the new QEC Aircraft carrier including design, installation and system effect to the electrical systems
- Management of the power distribution and loading in the aircraft carrier that has an electrical generation capability that could feed a large city.
Security / export control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity and inclusion statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
If you want to be part of our future working in partnership with the Royal Navy, then a career in Maritime Services awaits you.
What we are looking for
- Working towards CEng registration, focused on achieving the required level of competence in line with the UKSPEC requirements.
- Can demonstrate and discuss personal development and progress towards becoming a capable and skilled electrical engineer.
- Can demonstrate electrical engineering knowledge and how to apply the appropriate principles and concepts
- Can demonstrate knowledge of Edition 18 wiring regulations
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree in an electrical based degree. We will not accept electronics based degrees.
Accepted degree subjects
- electronic and electrical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 2 September 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment