As a Graduate Engineer, you will work as a part of a project team, alongside skilled and experienced individuals who are motivated to train and coach you on the day-to-day skills required to work closely with our customers, both internal and external. You will learn the tools, techniques and approaches used by engineering professionals and apply them in a controlled environment to ensure projects are delivered on time, to quality and to budget. Graduate Engineers will support their team to ensure that engineering practices are followed on all aspects of project definition and delivery.
As a Graduate, you will have the opportunity to work on a range of projects across our varied client base which will enable you to explore and select a career path which builds on your particular strengths as well as gives you exposure to the range of engineering roles in a project environment.
Software Engineer (Guildford, London, Gloucester, Leeds) As a Graduate Software Engineer, we expect you to be ready to tackle (and enjoy!) programming tasks from the outset, but we will take the time to mentor you through smaller packages of work and enhancements to our product range. You will work primarily in java, however we always look for the best framework for the job; some of our developments use C# .NET, C++ and HTML5 technologies. Day to day tasks could include:
- Assisting in the design, test and implementation of software which forms part of a properly engineered system
- Overcoming development obstacles to deliver quality code on time
- Helping to specify user/system interfaces
- Assisting in producing detailed designs and documents using required standards, methods and tools
- Understanding and translating business design into a logical design, for a simple software application
- Producing physical designs that describe the required structure and behavior of a simple software application characterised by low-risk non-functional requirements
Data Engineer (London or Gloucester) – As a Data Engineer you will operate in roles teamed with other data specialists, supporting the team and the client in a variety of projects which develop data capability, insights and solutions to realise business outcomes. The role is expected to be varied, involving participation in a variety of projects and roles in support of personal development and identification of career path aspirations. Each role may include a subset of:
- Participate in client engagements to elicit and document their vision, aims and / or requirements for the development of data capability, insights or solutions.
- Undertake data analysis to reveal insights from datasets, either as an end in itself, or to inform other project tasks.
- Support the investigation and documentation of data assets in the client estate to inform decisions to change and improve the data landscape.
- Develop units within wider data solutions such as ETL pipelines.
- Prepare and present materials to communicate data insights, including creation of data visualisations.
Data Scientist (Chelmsford) - BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Laboratories is seeking to recruit researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group. We are looking for candidates who are adaptable, enthusiastic and highly motivated. You should be keen to develop skills in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning and will need to be a proficient programmer, preferably in Python. You will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of Data science research topics for customers across the defence, security and commercial sectors. You will also have the opportunity to forge strong links with Academic partners. Candidates will have the opportunity to mix technical challenges with customer-facing and project support tasks. In addition to a solid academic background and excellent written and verbal communication skills, we are interested in candidates with experience in disciplines such as Mathematics, Statistics, Economic, Theoretical Physics and Biosciences with statistics. This role will involve the following general responsibilities:
- Conduct novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities.
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrator.
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards.
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and in larger project teams.
- Preparation of technical reports and technical proposals
Cyber Security Engineer (Chelmsford) – The Experimental Cyber group of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Laboratories (AI Labs) is currently recruiting cyber security engineers. This group focusses on conducting cybersecurity research and experimentation on a wide range of computer technologies for customer across the defence, national security and commercial sectors. A successful applicant taking on the role will be expected to undertake diverse technology research projects, both independently and as part of teams of engineers, whilst demonstrating an aptitude for proactively developing the required knowledge and skills for tackling challenging and unfamiliar topics. Alongside technical tasks, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute to applications for new project work; there will also be opportunities to lead and manage technical projects, depending on the level of experience. This role will involve the following general responsibilities:
- Researching, evaluating, and experimenting with assorted computer technologies.
- Developing innovative new cybersecurity technologies and tools.
- Delivering technical presentations.
- Writing technical reports.
- Contributing to project planning and technical proposals.
Electronic Engineer (Chelmsford, Guildford or Gloucester) - Our Electronic Engineers design and develop analogue and digital electronics, VHDL and embedded/low level software for a wide range of electronic systems. We expect you to take responsibility and tackle a number of different development tasks in different disciplines. Working under guidance from our expert engineers you could implement complex signal processing algorithms in VHDL, debug the RF chain on a software radio, and develop embedded software to run on low power microcontrollers or develop ruggedised devices for challenging environments. Day to day tasks could include:
- Contributing to the full engineering lifecycle, from working with clients through to every aspect of hardware design and manufacture
- Implementing complex signal processing algorithms in VHDL
- Designing switch mode power supplies, working on low power embedded systems, developing ruggedized devices for challenging environments
- Assisting colleagues to pitch new ideas to clients
- Managing multiple assignments independently, with support from colleagues
- Carrying out research, data collection and analysis
Operational Cyber Engineer/Researcher (Gloucester) - We are looking for talented developers and researchers who can solve our customers’ hardest problems. Trust us; these are not the kind of problems you'll get at a hedge fund, a Shoreditch start-up or even a Silicon Valley tech company. Our customers and the things they want to do are pretty unique. We work across a range of platforms including desktop, mobile and embedded systems and a range of languages including Python, C#, Java and C++.
What to expect on the Programme
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence is a fast paced and agile business. The more you put into your role the more you will get out, building lasting professional relationships. You may get the opportunity to work with clients early on in your time with us which will require you to think on your feet and quickly get up to speed with our products and services.
Projects will vary depending on; business needs, your skills and your future aspirational field of expertise. You will not always be working on a project of your choice; however every piece of work will provide you with a valuable breadth of experience within our business and that of our clients.
You will be part of our Future Talent Community and be provided with a Career Mentor, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. It is not all work and no play, the Future Talent community regularly run social events and activities for all to get involved with.
We encourage you as a Graduate Consultant, to immerse yourself within your project team, who will be on hand to support you, providing on the job training, advice and networking opportunities. You will be encouraged to build your internal and external networks in order to better expose yourself to the variety of opportunities within our business.
What we are looking for
Eligible to achieve a Government Security Clearance
Desired technical ability
Aptitude in one or more of the following:
- Java - Java JEE, JSP, JSF, EJB, Spring, JDBC
- Infrastructure – systems administration, network security & engineering, protocols (TCP/IP)
- Microsoft - C#, C++, .NET, SharePoint, ODBC
- Data processing – Hadoop, Oracle, R, SQL
- Web - HTML, XML, SOAP
- O/S - Linux, Windows
- Mobile – iOS, Android,
- MATLAB, Maple
- Microsoft Office – specifically Microsoft Excel – Lookups, pivot tables
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- The aptitude for solving complex/technical problems
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
Please note as a Graduate Engineer, you may be required to work on client sites that are away from your base location - this can be for an extended period of time. This is not applicable to all projects, but if travel is required of you, your travel and expenses will be cove red. If you have any particular concerns, please speak with your recruitment contact.
On track to achieve/ already achieved a 2:2 or above in a science, technology, engineering or maths subject
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our, work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 19 September 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment