As a Graduate Engineer, you will work as a part of a project team, alongside skilled and experienced individuals who are motivated to train and coach you on the day-to-day skills required to work closely with our customers, both internal and external. You will learn the tools, techniques and approaches used by engineering professionals and apply them in a controlled environment to ensure projects are delivered on time, to quality and to budget. Graduate Engineers will support their team to ensure that engineering practices are followed on all aspects of project definition and delivery.
As a graduate, you will have the opportunity to work on a range of projects across our varied client base which will enable you to explore and select a career path which builds on your particular strengths as well as gives you exposure to the range of engineering roles in a project environment.
As a Graduate Software Engineer, we expect you to be ready to tackle (and enjoy) programming tasks from the outset, but we will take the time to mentor you through smaller packages of work and enhancements to our product range. You will work primarily in java, however we always look for the best framework for the job; some of our developments use C# .NET, C++ and HTML5 technologies. Day to day tasks could include:
- Assisting in the design, test and implementation of software which forms part of a properly engineered system
- Overcoming development obstacles to deliver quality code on time
- Helping to specify user/system interfaces
- Assisting in producing detailed designs and documents using required standards, methods and tools
- Understanding and translating business design into a logical design, for a simple software application
- Producing physical designs that describe the required structure and behavior of a simple software application characterised by low-risk non-functional requirements
What to expect on the Programme
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence is a fast paced and agile business. The more you put into your role the more you will get out, building lasting professional relationships. You may get the opportunity to work with clients early on in your time with us which will require you to think on your feet and quickly get up to speed with our products and services.
Projects will vary depending on; business needs, your skills and your future aspirational field of expertise. You will not always be working on a project of your choice; however every piece of work will provide you with a valuable breadth of experience within our business and that of our clients.
You will be part of our Future Talent community and be provided with a career mentor who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. It is not all work and no play, the Future Talent community regularly runs social events and activities for all to get involved with.
We encourage you, as a Graduate Engineer, to immerse yourself within your project team, who will be on hand to support you, providing on the job training, advice and networking opportunities. You will be encouraged to build your internal and external networks in order to better expose yourself to the variety of opportunities within our business.
What we are looking for
Eligible to achieve a Government Security Clearance
Desired technical ability
Aptitude in one or more of the following:
- Java - Java JEE, JSP, JSF, EJB, Spring, JDBC
- Microsoft - C#, C++, .NET, SharePoint, ODBC
- Data processing – Hadoop, Oracle, R, SQL
- Web - HTML, XML, SOAP
- O/S - Linux, Windows
- Mobile – iOS, Android
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- The aptitude for solving complex/technical problems
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
On track to achieve/ already achieved a 2:2 or above in a science, technology, engineering or maths subject
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 30 September 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment