This role is a combined role bring together the skills of Quality, Production and Manufacturing Engineering (QPM). The role can be either Product facing or Process facing.
QPM Engineers play an essential role for IPT’s (Integrated Project Teams) within Electronic Systems. The role is creative allowing Engineers to design, implement, monitor and maintain manufacturing systems and processes, whilst ensuring product quality meets the customer requirements.
At the beginning of a products life cycle, QPM Engineers play a vital role in the design for manufacture process working alongside Design Engineers to achieve the most efficient and cost effective design that can be manufactured to the highest quality possible. Tasks include reviewing the design, materials and build processes to be used whilst considering Design for Life requirements and ensuring robust design verification and validation activities are scheduled and completed successfully.
During the production phase of a products life cycle, QPM Engineers work in conjunction with the shop floor to resolve issues during manufacture, and to improve manufacturing processes, for example designing a new tool or refining a build process. They also review non-conformances to determine root cause and implement robust Corrective Actions using tools such as FRACAS (Fault Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action Systems) to help improve manufacturing processes.
The QPM Engineers develop and maintain the build instructions for use by the shop floor technicians.
What you will be doing
- Supporting and solving problems raised by teams using a variety of improvement tools and techniques.
- Application of Design for Manufacture
- Investigating new material properties and challenging existing build processes.
- Design of manufacturing cells using Lean Manufacturing techniques to reduce process lead times.
Kanban, Point Of Use materials (POU)
Design of work stations to improve operator efficiency by optimising their working environment.
- Working with the new state of the art Manufacturing Execution System (MES) develop and maintain build instruction documentation for use by shop floor technicians.
- Workplace organisation and safety improvements through 6S training and implementation.
- Developing Manufacturing Instruction to improve shop floor processes.
- Quality Planning
- Non-conformance analysis (includes identification of root cause and implementation of Corrective actions)
- Product/Process verification/validation
- Working with Customers & Suppliers to enhance Quality
If you have the imagination and determination to be involved in industry-changing innovations every day, then you’ll be a perfect fit for our Electronic Systems business.
Security / export control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity and inclusion statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
Every placement will be challenging, exciting and inspiring.
What we are looking for
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree. Degrees we consider are mechanical or electronic engineering, manufacturing engineering. We are looking for people that are interested in manufacturing and studying manufacturing subjects as part of their degree such as design for manufacture (or New Product Introduction), manufacturing engineering, manufacturing systems and process.
Accepted degree subjects
- transport engineering
- mechanical engineering
- electronic and electrical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 2 September 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment