Would you like to work within a varied and interesting role supporting a wide range of products for both defence and commercial sectors? We currently growing the team and have a vacancy for a Materials Scientist / Chemist at our site in Great Baddow, Essex.
As a Materials Scientist, you will be working as part of a multidiscipline team within the Product Assurance Response Centre (PARC). PARC’s activities include the provision of rapid technical troubleshooting services relating to components, production and processes, and ‘green issues’. This will be working across a broad range of industrial operations including avionics, sensors, shipbuilding, aircraft manufacture, sonar systems, radar and energetic materials. The rapid resolution of technical issues in PARC is paramount in ensuring high performance, quality, value and competitiveness throughout BAE SYSTEMS and our customers.
This role will provide you with the chance to develop your skills within materials science where every day is different. You will gain exposure to cutting edge technology as well as excellent career development opportunities.
Your main responsibilities as a Materials Scientist / Chemist will involve:
- Providing rapid troubleshooting and failure analysis service relating to components, production and processes
- Ensuring high performance, quality, value, and competitiveness throughout BAE Systems
- Using test and analytical equipment to ensure problems are solved in a timely fashion, supporting colleagues on a wide range of enquiries.
- Preparing technical reports, test procedures, process specifications and other product documentation
- Liaising with both internal and external customers, including travel and visits to other business units as part of the rapid troubleshooting service
- Knowledge of materials properties, selection, processing and testing, ideally encompassing polymers, metals, ceramics and composites, adhesives and surface finishes and coatings.
- Membership of a recognised technical institution would be advantageous
- A proven track record in a production or quality environment is preferable.
What to expect on the Programme
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence is a fast paced and agile business. The more you put into your role the more you will get out, building lasting professional relationships. You may get the opportunity to work with clients early on in your time with us which will require you to think on your feet and quickly get up to speed with our products and services.
You will be part of our Future Talent community and be provided with a career mentor who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. It is not all work and no play, the Future Talent community regularly runs social events and activities for all to get involved with.
We encourage you, as a Graduate Engineer, to immerse yourself within your project team, who will be on hand to support you, providing on the job training, advice and networking opportunities. You will be encouraged to build your internal and external networks in order to better expose yourself to the variety of opportunities within our business.
What we are looking for
- You must be able to work using your own initiative, with the ability to multi-task and manage your own workload.
- You will also possess a flexible and adaptable approach to enable you to take on enquiries that are not from your specific academic background.
- Possesses excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to use Microsoft office, particularly a good working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Is able to work independently without close supervision.
- Report writing to a high standard, but concise.
- Eligible for UK Security Vetting: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Knowledge of modern analytical techniques e.g. SEM / EDX, XRF, 3D X-Ray/ CT, Tensile testing, material / sample preparation, DSC/TGA, FTIR (EGA), TMA, DMA, , NDT techniques etc. (In-house training will also be provided)
Degree level qualification (or equivalent with experience) in materials science / chemistry / metallurgy.
Accepted degree subjects
- materials science
Additional job details
- Great Baddow
- Competitive salary
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 16 March 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 16 March 2021