Design, develop and test complex mechanical systems and turn ideas into products. You’ll learn how to generate concept ideas and turn them into viable solutions, gaining experience of 3D modelling and analysis tools that will help you factor in considerations including materials, manufacture, assembly, cost and performance.
As a Mechanical Engineer you’ll be the one who turns ideas into products. You’ll be involved in the design, development and testing of the complex mechanical systems. In the early stages of a project, you’ll apply scientific principles and technical information to generate concept ideas. After this you will select the most suitable design and turn it into a viable solution. Through 3D modelling and a range of analysis tools, you’ll create a detailed design of the product that factors into considerations such as materials, manufacture, assembly, cost and performance to name just a few. Our military and commercial programmes require us to push our capabilities and technologies to the limit of what is achievable today. This raises many challenges for the system as it must ultimately meet our customers’ stringent safety requirements and bring leading edge performance to give competitive advantage wherever applied.
Follow your passion with the following responsibilities.
This may include:
- Supporting the development of strategies to ensure that systems are designed and integrated so that they fully satisfy the customer and business needs/requirements
- Capturing and analysing requirements in order to understand the customer/business needs and the context in which the system will be used
- Supporting the design and optimisation of system architectures and solutions using system modelling techniques
- Facilitating successful integration of systems and sub-systems
- Identifying and managing interfaces and dependencies
- Identifying and mitigating failure modes
- Determining the emergent properties of a system to support trade-offs, optimisation, risk reduction and testing
- Defining the verification and validation approach in order to achieve certification and acceptance of the system
- Supporting the identification of safety hazards and the assessment and mitigation of safety risk
- Providing systems engineering support to project and functional teams
- Conduct all activities in a professional manner delivering systems engineering tasks to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project milestones
- Drafting technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that information can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Maintain accurate records of all work in accordance with relevant extant procedures
- Liaise with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required
- Liaise with Supply Chain, Operations, Test & Commissioning, ILS and other internal functions as required.
- Continually develop your systems capabilities to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with best practice
- Articulate and present arguments clearly, logically and simply
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions.
These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
What we have on offer for you
Take your first steps in a career that challenges, rewards and evolves. At BAE Systems you’ll be working on exciting, world-leading engineering and business projects from day one. Our graduate scheme will prepare you with the skills you need to navigate challenges that bring others to a standstill. We will help you make the very most of your talents. We place great importance not only on what we do, but how and why we do it. We are passionate, collaborative, and take pride in work that helps our customers and communities. Working for BAE Systems, you’ll go home at the end of each day knowing what you do really makes a difference.
What we are looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll need to have obtained, or be predicted to obtain, a 2:2 in your bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Broad Oak
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Working with us
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 1 September 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment