Mechanical Engineers within Product & Training Services, Radar are required to apply theoretical knowledge and practical experience in order to design and support, equipment and system integration, fault diagnosis and fault resolution for our range of land and Naval Radar platforms.
What you will be doing
Under technical supervision, provide mechanical engineering services to Warship Support COMs, projects, bids and improvement initiatives as directed by the mechanical engineering functional Lead. This may include:
- Identifying equipment/system requirements
- Developing design solutions for mechanical systems
- Conducting supporting calculations for mechanical/marine system design activities
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering equipment/systems to ensure all aspects of the design are considered
- Identify safety hazards and support the assessment and mitigation of safety risk
- Writing system/equipment specifications, scopes of work and assessing supplier responses
- Supporting the verification of mechanical equipment and system performance
- Defining acceptance requirements
- Reviewing technical documentation
- Conducting technical investigations and root cause analysis
- Providing mechanical engineering support to operations, test and commissioning, ILS and other functions
- Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering mechanical design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project milestones
- Drafting technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Maintain accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
- Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required to satisfy the needs of the project
- Liaison with Supply Chain, Operations, Test & Commissioning, ILS and other internal functions as required.
- Adopt a professional approach to all mechanical/marine engineering design solutions to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with the technology
- Articulate and present technical arguments clearly, logically and simply
Security / export control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity and inclusion statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
Every placement will be challenging, exciting and inspiring.
What we are looking for
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of the fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering.
- Have some experience in marine/mechanical engineering, preferably working on complex military platforms and systems.
- Have an strong awareness of Product Safety and SHE within their day to day work.
- An understanding of what Systems Engineering is and the benefits it brings to complex engineering projects
- Ability to work with Classification Society and Naval Authority requirements.
- Working towards gaining CEng status
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
Accepted degree subjects
- mechanical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 2 September 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment