Work in a holistic, multi-disciplinary role, focusing on the bigger picture and bridging the gaps between disciplines. Throughout the different stages of a product lifecycle, you'll take the lead in systems integration and testing, qualification and acceptance. As well as the technical aspects of projects, you'll also learn to consider important factors such as schedules, costs, training and environmental concerns.
Would you like to join a team of engineers working on some of the world’s most advanced radar systems, for one of the UK’s largest defence companies?
As a Systems Engineer on a summer placement you will be using your problem solving skills to design, analyse and investigate complex radar systems. You will learn and grow your skillset within a mixed team of developing and already experienced engineers. You will also have the chance to work alongside other specialists such as software, mechanical and radio-frequency engineers.
You will join a team that is responsible for delivering quality products and services to our customers, as they depend on the capability of our radars and our ability to support them through their lifecycle. As a team, we are proud that our End User commitment is second to none.
As a Systems Engineer, you will be involved in the design and support of radar systems throughout the engineering development lifecycle; from requirements definition and management through to system design and in service support.
Your responsibilities may include the following (It may not be possible to cover the complete scope within a 3 month placement):
- Analysing data to assess system performance and investigate the effect of design changes and experimental builds
- Creating, modifying and using computational models to simulate radar behaviour to inform design decisions
- Designing outcomes to improve existing and future systems using knowledge gained from analysis, modelling and testing
- Discussing and sharing ideas with other members of the team to better understand a problem and help develop a response
In addition, your work may include practical activities working with radar hardware but in the course of a three month placement this cannot be guaranteed.
What we have on offer for you
Take your first steps in a career that challenges, rewards and evolves. At BAE Systems you’ll be working on exciting, world-leading engineering and business projects from day one. Our placements will prepare you with the skills you need to navigate challenges that bring others to a standstill. We will help you make the very most of your talents. We place great importance not only on what we do, but how and why we do it. We are passionate, collaborative, and take pride in work that helps our customers and communities. Working for BAE Systems, you’ll go home at the end of each day knowing what you do really makes a difference.
Start date : June 2021
What we are looking for
- You will need to have familiarity with computational modelling, coding or analysis (such as Matlab or Python).
- Candidates should demonstrate an interest in learning about new concepts and understanding novel ideas and importantly be comfortable in not knowing something and be happy to ask questions.
- An ability to articulate technical information effectively to a range of audiences of varying levels of technical knowledge would be a bonus.
- As a minimum requirement you`ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 in your Bachelor’s degree, preferably in physics, with your final year commencing from Autumn 2021.
- Desirable final year modules of study include Principles of Radar, Microwave & High Speed Digital design, Physical Computing, and Advanced Electromagnetism, although these are not essential.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Great Baddow
- Competitive salary
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 March 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment