Software Engineers within product and training services are required to apply theoretical knowledge and practical experience in order to support the design and optimisation of products and services.
What you will be doing (Role duties and responsibilities)
Under technical supervision, provide Software Engineering services to product and training services projects, bids and improvement initiatives as directed by the Software Engineering Discipline Lead.
This may include:
- Supporting the development of strategies to ensure that software is designed and integrated so that they fully satisfy the customer and business needs/requirements
- Capturing and analysing requirements in order to understand the customer/business needs and the context in which the software will be used
- Supporting the design and optimisation of software architectures and solutions
- Facilitating successful integration of software
- Identifying and managing interfaces and dependencies
- Determining the emergent properties of software to support trade-offs, optimisation, risk reduction and testing
- Defining the verification and validation approach in order to achieve certification and acceptance of the software
- Supporting the identification of safety hazards and the assessment and mitigation of safety risk
- Providing Software Engineering support to project and functional teams
- Conduct all activities in a professional manner delivering Software Engineering tasks to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project milestones
- Drafting technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that information can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Maintain accurate records of all work in accordance with relevant extant procedures
- Liaise with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required
- Liaise with supply chain, operations, test and commissioning, ILS and other internal functions as required.
- Continually develop your Software Engineering capabilities to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with best practice
- Articulate and present arguments clearly, logically and simply
Security/ Export control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity and inclusion statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
What we are looking for
- Have a good understanding of Software Engineering and the benefits it brings to complex engineering projects
- Have some experience in applying Software Engineering tools and techniques in a service or product design environment, preferably working on complex military platforms and systems
- Have a strong awareness of product safety and SHE within their day-to-day work
- Working towards gaining CEng status
You’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 bachelor’s degree in any STEM subject.
Accepted degree subjects
- computer sciences and IT
- electronic and electrical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 May 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment