BAE Systems Air Sector engineering is responsible for the design and build of fixed wing military and training aircraft, unmanned air vehicles, as well as providing training, support and information services for the UK RAF and other customers worldwide.
Software is the critical enabling technology for modern platforms and network enabled capability.
- Software accounts for around 20% of the UK defence procurement budget and a significant proportion of support costs.
- Platforms such as Typhoon and F-35 Lightning II have 80-90% of their functions enabled by software.
- Software acquisition and development often results in significant project risks that impact on budget, schedule or customer needs.
Software Engineering delivers technical solutions into Air Sector Products. Software forms an increasingly large and complex component in Air Sector Products and hence is a key implementation technology for the Air Sector business. The control of key risks associated with the acquisition of software components in Air Sector products is vital to their successful deployment and support through operational life.
What you will be doing
On a graduate placement an individual would be expected to be involved in a number of areas in order to develop a broad understanding of fast jet and unmanned systems and the activities undertaken in the design and development of innovative software solutions. Tasks involved could include,
- Developing Customer and/or Product Requirements
- Analysing and Validating Requirements and managing changes
- Designing the Product or Product Component
- Designing Interfaces Using Criteria
- Implementing the Product Design
- Identifying and managing key system properties and non-functional requirements
- Maintaining Configuration control of all Software Engineering artefacts
- Preparing for Verification
- Performing Verification
- Analysing Verification Results
- Establishing Validation Procedures and Criteria
- Performing Validation
- Analysing Validation Results.
- Generate Software Qualification Statement
- Generating evidence to support the higher level Certification activities
Security / export control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity and inclusion statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
Every placement will be challenging, exciting and inspiring.
What we are looking for
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree in any STEM subject.
Accepted degree subjects
- mechanical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 2 September 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment