We are looking for our future business leaders and this three-year programme provides a fast-track route into management within the businesses that Bakkavor operates across China. Within the programme our UK and China teams collaborate to support early careers talent in our growing China operations. The programme offers a perfect blend of experience in the UK and exposure to the food market there and connecting this with your knowledge and experience of China to deliver fantastic quality products and great customer service.
The programme structure
- Year one, United Kingdom – a 12-month UK-based placement – this could be within any of our UK factory locations and may involve several to give you breadth and exposure. Leadership, business and functional training will also occur in this placement.
- Year two and three, China – 24 months completing the programme, working in role. Some of the roles may be in Hong Kong, where this is the case it is clearly stated.
- Year four and beyond, China – the future is yours – our programme is an accelerated one, so we want you to reach management roles within a short period after you have completed the programme, with real responsibility and opportunities to drive change and success.
Product safety and quality are the backbone of our operations, and essential to the business and our customers. The Technical function supports ownership from all functions and suppliers in doing manufacturing correctly, safely and to the expected high standard.
This programme works closely with all areas internally and externally and is based both within the factory and the office, depending on the role. Working with our customers is essential, in addition to facilitating the company to have the right systems and process in place, to meet the customer and industry standards or codes of practice. The Food Technology Programme is two years in length and is likely to involve working with either with the Quality, Technical Services, Process or Raw Materials teams. Bakkavor have an essential Central Technical team who drive governance and standards across the group, and this area also contains future career opportunities.
Your target role for when you come off the programme depends on the area within Technical you would like to pursue to continue your development towards a technical manager equivalent role within five-seven years of starting. Typically, you can expect to be in roles such as QA supervisor or senior technologist on a development plan towards quality manager, process manager, technical services manager.
What we offer
Our programme is designed to broaden your perspective and offer you a variety of learning opportunities. On the graduate programme, you’ll receive:
- A current st arting salary, allowance and bonus package upon starting of up to 161,000 RMB once you begin your placement in China, increasing to 208,068 RMB in your second year in China.
- For the UK-based induction and training placement year before relocating to China – your total UK reward package will be aligned to China and takes into consideration UK based living costs - £18,500 plus £6,000 UK allowance.
- Relocation financial assistance (for each graduate placement)
- Support in sec uring your visa for the UK training placement
A broad support and development network
- A dedicated Champion for your functional programme – one in the UK, and one in China
- A mentor to support and guide your development
- You’ll join as a cohort, with up to 20 other graduates plus our China Graduate Programme graduates, not to mention a wide community of graduates who joined in the years before you
- A Line Manager who will complete regular performance reviews and support you through a skills chart checklist of experience
A suite of training and development opportunities
- Dedicated graduate leadership training events
- Programme workshops and exposure to other functions
- Rotational placements to broaden your experience
- Management skills training
- Opportunities to further your development after the programme with apprenticeship qualifications
- This is an accelerated programme into management roles, and due to Bakkavor’s size and breadth, we are able to work with you to identify the right career opportunities for your professional development towards senior leadership roles in the future.
- You’ll take responsibility for your work area and personal development from day one.
What we are looking for
The most important thing for us is a motivated attitude to develop your career and an ambition to progress to senior leadership roles within Bakkavor. Whilst the programme is three years in length, our target is to offer your career opportunities to continue your professional development once the programme is complete.
We do have some criteria that we will be looking for – you’ll need these to pass our assessment screening process:
- Three months' or more of work experience in a professional type environment in any country, a role within the food industry or manufacturing, or related to your chosen discipline (for example, a three-month office internship)
- An existing ‘right to work’ in the China, and have no restrictions to apply for a Tier 5 visa or work in the UK
- A clearly articulated motivation to progress your career in the food industry
- Flexibility to complete rotational placements, starting in the UK and relocating on a long-term basis in China (move to first placement, and move to second placement which can be in any of our locations)
- Fluent in Mandarin (we will also consider Cantonese)
- Graduates who align to the Bakkavor values and represent a good value fit to our organisation
- A level of business and commercial acumen
- A preference is for candidates to have a driving license due to our remote locations for some placements, however this is not essential
All placements are subject to successful right to work checks, and eligibility to work in the UK and China.
Achieved, or are expected to achieve, at least a 2:2 honours degree or master’s degree in an area that relates to your chosen discipline – one of these should be from within the UK.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- UK wide · China
plus £6,000 UK allowance
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 13 December 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 13 December 2019