Get more out of your summer with Balfour Beatty. Take on one of our paid placements, and youll have the chance to make a real impact on our business. Youll open doors to future opportunities here too, while really developing your knowledge and understanding of our industry. Joining us from between eight and twelve weeks over the summer, youll take on real and important work.
As well as bags of priceless, hands-on experience, youll receive a competitive salary and a number of useful benefits. You could also take a big step towards a place on our Graduate Scheme.
Our Civil Engineering undergraduate roles will tend to be site based; however, occasionally we have office-based placements available depending on project requirements. Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of civil engineering to support your studies.
What you'll be doing
Our engineers find physical answers to some of the biggest challenges in our industry. Join them, and youll find yourself shaping projects that redefine skylines and fuel societies. Your day to day responsibilities may include:
- Assisting with site investigations
- Developing detailed designs
- Assessing the potential risks of specific projects
- Communicating and liaising effectively with colleagues and architects, subcontractors, contracting civil engineers, consultants, co-workers and clients
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems
- Managing budgets and other project resources
- Managing change, as the client may change his or her mind about the design
- Ensuring relevant parties are notified of changes in the project
- Attending public meetings to discuss projects, especially in a senior role
- Using computer modelling software to analyse data
- Preparing bids
Salary and benefits
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty graduate and whats involved in the scheme, visit our website here to learn more.
What we are looking for
- You will have an enthusiastic, engaged attitude and an eagerness to learn
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of your training)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
- Ideally, have a full UK driving licence
- Be eligible to work and live in the UK
Be studying for a BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in civil or structural engineering - expecting to achieve a 2:2
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- UK wide
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Balfour Beatty reserves the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing dae.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 16 March 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 16 March 2020