Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Track Design Engineer to join our Rail Engineering Technology Services team.
Our Civil Design Engineering Graduates follow a training programme as part of our accredited ICE scheme, geared towards you achieving Charted Engineer status. This scheme has a strong emphasis on the design element of Civil Engineering. Depending on project requirements, you could be site, office based or both.
You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business – these could include multidisciplinary engineering, construction, safety and commercial and you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation as well as the application of independent engineering judgement. Our aim is to develop your technical and leadership skills to help you reach your full potential.
- Undertake and deliver designs of track system and track alignment for new scheme, renewal and maintenance projects from inception to design completion
- Support the construction/site teams during the build phase
- Prepare technical reports and draft specifications.
- Good overall knowledge of general civil engineering
- Working knowledge of Permanent Way principles
- To act safely and work to eliminate hazards at source
- Provide deliverables and a service that satisfies safety and quality requirements
- Produce calculations, drawings and supply the associated service
- Contribute to the production of investigations, reports and specifications
- Operate in compliance with relevant technical, professional and group standards
- Ensure project change is fully implemented and recorded
- Undertake work using formal processes and procedures
- Manage and record time and provides time estimates for tasks
- Packages delivered to programme and budget
- Packages comply with good design practice, relevant technical, professional and group standards
- Accurate packages with minimum of rework
- Accurate and complete records
- Successful audits
- Manage projects, or parts thereof, allocated providing monthly update of progress for client report
The Balfour Beatty Graduate scheme lasts for two years; you will follow a development programme that will equip you with the skills needed to become a business leader of the future. Throughout the two years, you’ll be supported by your line manager and have the opportunity to attend graduate-based events, where you will work with your peers, develop interpersonal skills and share best practice. You will join a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
This role will be working for Balfour Beatty Rail.
Rewards and benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will be covered.
For more information about what you can do as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website and view the profiles of our current graduates across the group.
What we are looking for
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate as part of the programme)
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence key decisions
Knowledge and experience
- Awareness of construction methods and materials
- Knowledge of Group Standards /HSE Legislation
- Knowledge of Engineering Drawing Practices
- Must have a basic knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and how it impacts on the industry
- Experience in railway based civil engineering and structures or civil engineering discipline.
- Good CAD skills
- Experienced at producing calculations, drawings and reports in the project delivery environment for the particular discipline
- Experienced at operating to procedures and design office practices
A minimum of a 2:2 in civil or mechanical engineering. Candidates should be working towards membership of the I.C.E., I.Mech.E, or P.W.I.
Accepted degree subjects
- mechanical engineering
- civil engineering and construction
How to apply
Balfour Beatty reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please email.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 12/04/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 12/04/2019
Additional job details
|Location||Derby · Redhill|