We designed our two-year Technical Graduate Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience.
Your time on the programme will see you gaining all kinds of specialist technical skills and eye-catching achievements. You will be joining a leading international infrastructure group shaping innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. Youll have visibility in key areas of our business including design, operations, safety and commercial; youll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation.
We will develop your technical and leadership skills to help you reach your full potential and as your programme progresses you will have increased responsibility; working with experts who will share their knowledge, provide support and give invaluable feedback so you never stop learning. You will be part of a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
Our Civil Engineering graduates follow a training programme as part of our accredited ICE scheme, geared towards you achieving Chartered Engineer status. Depending on project requirements, you could be site, office based or both.
What you'll be doing
This role is a national role, consisting of rotational placements over the scheme, within key areas of the Power Transmission and Distribution part of Balfour Beatty. The programme is designed so you can gain diverse experience across the business to help support your chosen career path and studies. You will need to be fully mobile as the placements could be based anywhere in the UK.
By undertaking placements in different areas within Power, you gain an insiders view of the people, processes and technology that are transforming our business. Each placement carries real responsibility and you will be expected to deliver what the business requires of you. You will be given specific objectives relative to each placement so that you are contributing from day one.
An example of what placements you may undertake are:
- Writing RAMS
- Carrying out toolbox talks / project inductions
- Supervision of foundation, erecting and wiring works
- Involvement with the O&M manual and site mob/demob
- Learning about various contracts and their payment mechanisms
- Attending Cost to Completes & PoaPs
- Working on Compensation events and Variation Orders to claim money back from the client
- Checking temporary works designs such as scaffolds, excavations, shuttering, crane & MEWP checks using Eurcode designs
- Permanent designs such as pad foundations and retaining walls
- Overhead line design (Wind and ice loading calculations)
- Worked on tenders (learning about how a project is costed, risk management, cashflow, GBP-point estimates etc)
- Attend Stage gate meeting (learning about project gated lifecycle)
- Lead estimator for project tenders
Salary and benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will also be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and whats involved in the scheme, visit our website to learn more.
What we are looking for
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate as part of the programme)
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence decision making
- Ideally have experience within an engineering/construction environment
- Eligibility to work and live permanently in the UK
- A full, clean UK driving licence
A minimum of a 2:2 BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in civil or structural engineering
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- UK wide
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Balfour Beatty reserves the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please email here
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 5 April 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 5 April 2020