We designed our two-year Technical Graduate Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience.
Your time on the programme will see you gaining all kinds of specialist technical skills and eye-catching achievements. You will be joining a leading international infrastructure group shaping innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. Youll have visibility in key areas of our business including design, operations, safety and commercial; youll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation.
We will develop your technical and leadership skills to help you reach your full potential and as your programme progresses you will have increased responsibility; working with experts who will share their knowledge, provide support and give invaluable feedback so you never stop learning. You will be part of a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
Our Design Engineer Graduates follow a training programme as part of our accredited scheme, geared towards you achieving Chartered Engineer status. Depending on project requirements, you could be site, office based or both.
What you'll be doing
Successful projects start with good designs. And our Design team comes up with some of the best in our industry. Every day, they draw up the specs, reports and construction methods we need to deliver projects. Your day to day responsibilities may include:
- Leading project meetings
- Carrying out design in accordance in Eurocode Principles.
- Interpretation of site investigation information
- Geotechnical and structural design
- Working with internal and external design teams
- Liaising with other teams and departments
- Working with clients to ensure that their requirements are fulfilled, and expectations met
- Liaising with site teams to ensure design information is adequate, clear and efficient.
- Making sure that design information is available to those who need it, when they need it
- Maintaining thorough documentation of all processes
- Keeping up to date with changing legislation and codes of practice to ensure compliance
- Requires a thorough understand of technical, regulatory and commercial issues as well as pure design considerations
- Good communications skills are also needed as design managers work closely with other teams and departments
- A career as a design manager will usually involve working standard office hours, Monday to Friday
Salary and benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will also be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and whats involved in the scheme, visit our website to learn more.
What we are looking for
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate as part of the programme)
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence decision making
- Ideally have experience within an engineering/construction environment
- Eligibility to work and live in the UK
- A full, clean UK driving licence
A minimum of a 2:2 in any built environment degree
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- South East England
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Balfour Beatty reserves the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please email here
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 16 March 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 16 March 2020