We designed our two-year Technical Graduate Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience.
Your time on the programme will see you gaining all kinds of specialist technical skills and eye-catching achievements. You will be joining a leading international infrastructure group shaping innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. Youll have visibility in key areas of our business including design, operations, safety and commercial; youll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation.
We will develop your technical and leadership skills to help you reach your full potential and as your programme progresses you will have increased responsibility; working with experts who will share their knowledge, provide support and give invaluable feedback so you never stop learning. You will be part of a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
Depending on project requirements, you could be site, office based or both.
What you'll be doing
On our Health, Safety, Environment and Sustainability graduate scheme, youll work closely with the people who are driving the business towards achieving zero harm. Your day-to-day responsibilities may include:
- Supporting managers and employees to implement the health and safety systems, including delivery of objectives and plans
- Undertaking incident/accident investigation and report writing
- Outlining safe operational procedures which identify and take account of all relevant hazards
- Undertaking risk assessments and site inspections to consider how risks can be reduced
- Keeping records of inspection findings and producing reports that suggest improvements
- Delivering site safety inductions to new personnel
- Ensuring that equipment is installed correctly/safely
- Writing internal health and safety policies/strategies
- Compiling statistics
- Assisting procurement team with tender document preparation in relation to environmental, health and safety questions
- Making presentations to groups of employees/managers
- Instigating health and safety meetings and training courses for managers and employees
- Liaising with relevant authorities, i.e. Health and Safety Executive
- Reviewing and interpreting environmental reports
- Ensuring compliance with environmental statutory obligations
- Keeping up to date and ensuring compliance with current health and safety legislation
- Making changes to working practices that are safe and comply with legislation
- Producing management reports, newsletters and bulletins
- Managing and organising the safe disposal of hazardous substances, e.g. asbestos
- Advising on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases
Salary and benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will also be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and whats involved in the scheme, visit our website to learn more.
What we are looking for
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate as part of the programme)
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence decision making
- Ideally have experience within a construction environment
- Eligibility to work and live permanently in the UK
- A full, clean UK driving licence
A degree with a minimum result of a 2:2.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- South East England
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Balfour Beatty reserves the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please email here
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 16 March 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 16 March 2020