Do you want to work for a worldwide, market leading company? A company that has delivered some of the most iconic projects, globally over the last 100 years, with market leading capabilities across the construction, services and rail sectors? Then we have an amazing opportunity for you – based in Peterborough.
About the role
As a Trainee Site Manager you will follow a training programme and work towards a BSc (Hons) Construction Management degree on a part time basis through day release.
Depending on project requirements, you will be site or office based. Our aim is to develop your skills and to help you reach your full potential. As the programme progresses you will have increased responsibility for the financial and legal management of construction projects. Throughout you will ensure compliance with our Health and Safety and Sustainability agenda.
What you'll be doing
- Assisting with organisation of site documentation and updating the site diary on Autodesk BIM 360
- Organise construction drawings
- Create and display information posters on site notice boards for operatives and visitors
- Assist the Site/Project Manager with compiling photos and quality records required by the client, building control and employer’s agents
- Work on the AWG folders as well as assisting with other documents that the client requires from the site
Health, Safety, Environment (HSE)
- Assist the site operations team with ensuring that subcontractor HSE paperwork is received on time and contains the correct information
- Assisting the site operations team with pre-start plant and machinery checks, and checking the sub-contractors are undertaking daily plant checks
- Attend daily site supervisor meetings and HSE meetings and help with minute taking
- Reporting to Site Managers safety issues on site
- Undertake regular noise and dust monitoring as required and check the tidiness of the site
Tools and materials
- Assist the site team with ordering stationery and construction materials as required
- Assist the site team with hiring and off-hiring of tools and equipment from Balfour Batty Plant Desk as required.
- Monitor stocks of PPE for Balfour Beatty team and assist with ordering additional PPE that is required
- Assist the site team with checking the quality of work by our subcontractors, both interim and final handover inspections
- Report any issues with damaged materials or damage to finished works to Site Managers
- Live the Balfour Beatty values and behaviours
- Participate in your development programme and work toward professional status
Who we're looking for
- Five GCSE's grade 9-4/A*-C (or equivalent)
- Three A-levels (or equivalent) at grade A-C
- Pass pre-employment medical which will include a drug and alcohol test
As well as strong numeracy and well-developed team and people skills, you have the passion and enthusiasm to keep the momentum going on a project. You will be able to set the pace as well as the standards for the team. You will also have the ability to describe what interests and motivates you to the construction industry.
The following qualifications will be gained: BSc (Hons) Construction Management.
- You will attend college and university on a day or block release basis
- The typical duration is five years but this may depend or your previous experience and qualifications
Salary and benefits
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Apprentice and what’s involved in the scheme visit the website and view the profiles of our current apprentices across the group
Take a look at what we do at
Balfour Beatty is the UK’s largest construction and infrastructure business. Each day our projects change people’s lives and communities for the better. We built the famous London Aquatic Centre and you’ll find our mark in all kinds of infrastructure like schools and hospitals, major roads, rail and power networks. Each year we seek the best apprentices to come and join our ever changing business.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People (“Two Ticks”) symbol and we are a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.
How to apply
We reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date. Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 29/04/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 29/04/2019
Additional job details