Undergraduates will complete a one year Industrial Placement within our business commencing in summer/autumn 2018. Our Civil Engineering undergraduate roles will tend to be site based; however, occasionally we have office based placements available depending on project requirements.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of civil engineering to support your studies. You will be given guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us as we want you to make a valid contribution to the business throughout your placement. So in order that you develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role including site and office based experience as early as possible.
What you'll be doing
Reporting to a senior engineer, your responsibilities may include:
- Managing and carrying out setting out activities
- Liaison with and supervision of other site staff and operatives, always ensuring work is carried out in a safe manner
- Preparing method statements and risk assessments
- Control and determine quantities of materials against project plans
- Carry out short term planning
- Keeping site records and quality documents (cost, time and safety)
Your time with us will help you gain valuable experience should you aspire to specialise in Civil Engineering.
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
For more information about what you can do as a Balfour Beatty undergraduate and what’s involved, visit our website.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People (“Two Ticks”) symbol and we are a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.
- Full UK driving licence
- Eligible to work and live permanently in the UK
- Flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate as part of the programme)
- Team focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- Driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence key decisions
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Be studying for a BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in civil or structural engineering, expecting to achieve a 2:2.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
We reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date. Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please email
Closing date: 28/04/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 28/04/2018