Within Balfour Beatty we have opportunities for Electrical Engineering Undergraduates to complete an 8-12 week placement in the summer of 2018. Our Undergraduate roles are typically site-based, however occasionally we have office based placements available depending on the project requirements.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of Electrical Engineering to support your studies. You will be given the guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us, as we want you to make a valid contribution to our business throughout your placement. In order to develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role and given real responsibility as early as possible.
What you'll be doing
Reporting to a Senior Engineer your responsibilities may include:
- Establish proceedures for controlling contract drawings
- Evaluate technical submissions and vendor documentation
- Initiates set-up of the job management system
- Assists with scopes of work, BID package development, and help solicit subcontractors and suppliers
- Initiates the building permit process
- Assists in the development of the site utilization plan
- Assists in the development of construction plans and work package plans.
- Assists Project Manager / Superintendent in the review and coordination of the Loss Prevention, Sustainability Action Plan and Quality Control Program
- Develops submittal log, participate in main contractor co-ordination meetings, subcontractor project orientation meetings, communicate and coordinate submittals and coordination drawings with subcontractors and the Superintendent
- Actively participates in subcontractor project orientation
- Responsible for proactive administration of reviewing and processing all submittal data and drawings to ensure project schedules are expedited and materials are delivered on time
- Conducts meetings with subcontractors, assisted by the Project Manager and/or Superintendent
- Serves as the onsite quality manager for assigned trades by verifying subcontractor deliveries meet approved submittal requirements
- Attends and participates in meetings with Architect/Engineer and owner representatives, provides information and assists the Project Manager in the preparation of progress reports/meeting minutes
- Balfour Beatty Rail
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
For more information about what you can as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website and view the profiles of our current graduates across the Group.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please email us.
We are an international infrastructure group providing innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems and social and commercial buildings. Each year we seek the best Graduates to come and join our ever changing business.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People (“Two Ticks”) symbol and we are a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.
Qualifications and experience requirements
To be considered for our undergraduate roles you’ll need
- To be studying for an Engineering (BEng or Meng ideally expecting to gain at least a 2:2
- Ideally a full UK driving licence
- Enthusiastic and engaged attitude and eager to learn
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of your training)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
Accepted degree subjects
electronic and electrical engineering · engineering management · civil engineering and construction
How to apply
We reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the application closing date.
Closing date: 15/04/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 15/04/2018