Undergraduates will complete an 8-12 week placement within Balfour Beatty, commencing in the summer of 2019. Our Civil Engineering Undergraduate roles are typically site based, however occasionally we have office based placements available depending on the project requirements.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of civil engineering to support your studies. You will be given the guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us as we want you to make a valid contribution to our business throughout your placement. In order to develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role and given real responsibility as early as possible.
You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business – these could include design, operations, safety and commercial - and you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation. Our aim is to develop your skills and to help you reach your full potential. As your programme progresses you will work with construction specialists and contractors on various projects, and will help ensure compliance with our Health and Safety agenda.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Managing and carrying out setting out activities
- Liaison with and supervision of other site staff and operatives, always ensuring work is carried out in a safe manner
- Preparing Method Statements and Risk Assessments
- Control and determine quantities of materials against project plans
- Carrying out Short Term planning
- Keeping site records and quality documents (cost, time and safety)
Your time with us will help you gain valuable experience should you aspire to specialise in civil engineering.
Rewards and benefits
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
What we are looking for
- You will have an enthusiastic, engaged attitude and an eagerness to learn
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of your training)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
- Full UK driving licence
- Be eligible to work and live permanently in the UK
Be studying for a cvil engineering (BEng or MEng) degree ideally expecting to gain at least a 2:2
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Balfour Beatty reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 12/04/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 12/04/2019
Additional job details