To undertake a course of study and work experience over two years that prepares the graduate for his/her first junior management role within Corporate Sustainability at Barratt Developments plc.
Our ambition is to be the leading national sustainable housebuilder, working across six areas that matter most, delivering leading results in sustainability benchmarks and measurable improvements in environmental and social performance. One of our six themes is ‘Operating Efficiency’, which focusses on waste reduction, recycling and energy efficiency and carbon reduction in our construction operations, which is closely linked to ‘Responsible and Sustainable sourcing’, ensuring that we empower our supply chain to provide solutions to help improve our operational efficiency and deliver positive outcomes for people and the environment. ·
They will also benefit from opportunities to undertake a Million Makers project and the option to study for professional qualifications, and will undertake a series of development modules including leadership, communication, project management, presentations and performance management.
Throughout the programme, they will have a tailored development plan with clear milestones, feedback and formal mentoring from the Head of Corporate Sustainability. They will also benefit from a support network of fellow graduates. In addition to the rotational element and personal development activities of the scheme our graduate will work with the Head of Corporate Sustainability on a resource efficiency project which will entail the following objectives:
Waste Reduction and Circular Economy
- Preparation of quarterly housebuilding operational resource efficiency papers
- Analysis to support development and improvements of the group wide operational efficiency goals of waste, energy, water and carbon reduction
- Co-ordination of data and reports as required to retained carbon and waste/resource efficiency consultants
- Liaison with key function groups/divisions to understand trends in waste stream generation, resource consumption and costs
- Liaison with Group construction team and waste management contractor on disposal, reuse, routes
- Co-ordination of information, liaison with the Group Procurement team to support the development of future circular economy opportunities and strategy
Energy Efficiency and Carbon Reduction across our site and office portfolio
- Assist in the development and roll-out of a group wide energy policy
- Maintenance of up to date schedule of energy efficiency programmes across office estate
- For our office locations, and construction sites, maintain schedules of energy metering, monitoring and data reporting improvements as required
- Liaison with group technical, commercial, construction, procurement and associated divisional functions as required
Corporate Water Strategy
- Support fact finding and research into water risk. Support data collection to support the creation of a corporate water strategy and action plan for sites and offices
- Revitalise and manage sustainability/’green’ champions network
- Liaise with Corporate Sustainability Co-ordinator and other function group directors to ensure an ongoing programme of engagement across all employees on resource efficiency
Year two sees our graduate specialising in sustainability, enabling them to get involved in longer term projects and gain an in-depth knowledge of the specific discipline with regular reviews and updates regarding possible job opportunities following the programme. The Corporate Sustainability function sits within the Group Corporate Executive, and informs decisions on strategy and investment across the whole of the Barratt group. The role has a great deal of visibility, as the function is sponsored at board level by the Chief Executive.
What will I be responsible for?
- Following the ‘ASPIRE’ Graduate Development Programme, completing the portfolio evidence as required
- Support and co-ordinate on a Corporate Resource Efficiency project
- Attending all Group Development modules and Quarterly Meetings as per the programme
- Contributing to continuous development within Barratt by undertaking Divisional/Regional/Group projects as agreed with mentor
- Continuing to develop through reviews with your coach and mentor, undertaking relevant professional qualifications where appropriate
- Giving continuous and constructive feedback on the ‘ASPIRE’ programme
- Acting as a buddy to new graduates when applicable
- Contributing towards Corporate Sustainability objectives by driving volunteering activities in the local area In year one our graduate will spend four individual four week rotations working in Commercial, Construction, Finance and Group Procurement to gain an appreciation of how these departments implicate and work with Corporate Sustainability.
In the FTSE 100, Barratt Developments is Britain’s best-known house builder with more than 400,000 homes to our name. We are made up of Barratt Homes, Barratt London and David Wilson Homes. Our developments stand out because of our focus on creating and expanding communities. Join one of our friendly close knit teams and you’ll become an integral part of the local community. We’re building everything from smart city flats and penthouse suites to starter homes and family houses. And we’ve won a clutch of awards for the quality our work. We think the best is yet to come, and that’s why we’re looking for the best and brightest graduates to join us. Whatever we build, we build to last. So during your programme you can expect to gain valuable skills that will help you develop a long and successful career. You'll be far more than just another graduate – in fact we'll take a personal interest in your progress, so get ready to be in the spotlight!
Qualifications and experience requirements
You'll need a 2:2 degree, equivalent or higher qualification; ideally in a subject related to built environment, environmental management, resource efficiency, environmental economics or sustainability.
If you don't have a related degree, you can still apply, but you'll need to demonstrate a passion for the industry, the role and outline your transferrable skills
- Self-confident, articulate, resilient and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- A lateral and innovative thinker; sees change as an opportunity and challenge for the business
- Able to work on own initiative, with the drive to take ownership of projects
- Strong communication skills, the ability to build effective and mutually beneficial working relationships both internally and externally Able to rapidly absorb new and complex information with ease and speed to conduct an incisive analysis
- Is passionate about the customer and is a role model of this behaviour to others in the business
- Displays energy and enthusiasm to deliver goals and achievements
- Driven, self-motivated and results driven for self and business
Accepted degree subjects
engineering management · civil engineering and construction · environmental science and ecology
Grade 7 £24,000
plus benefits package
North West England
Contract and working hours
Fixed term · Full-time
How to apply
Closing date: 30/04/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 01/04/2018