Our well-established Resident Graduate programme attracts both those who are thinking about a future career in education or youth work, and those who are simply looking for a supportive, stimulating and purposeful year while they consider their next step, in whatever direction that may be.
‘Res Grads’ live and work within the boarding community at Bootham School in the centre of York to support the pastoral care and recreational activities of both day and boarding students aged from 11 to 18. We’re an independent school focused on getting the best– intellectually, personally, spiritually – from the young people in our care. Bootham’s Quaker heritage provides the ethos, environment and framework of enduring values, practices and approaches that underpin an education which aims to fully address the real needs of today’s young people.
In addition, by being part of this programme, you will have the opportunity to get involved in activities that reflect your interests and ambitions. For example, we can arrange for you to observe lessons and help out in the classroom. If you’re interested in sport or art or learning support you can help in those departments, develop your skills and share you passion with students.
If you have yet to decide your future direction, our Res Grad programme offers an enjoyable and satisfying year working in a team of other recent graduates in our unique and friendly community.
- Leading an after-school activity for students, depending on your interests and expertise, each weekday from 16.30 to 17.30
- Organising and leading recreational activities for boarders on some weekends and evenings
- Assisting with the pastoral care and daily routines of boarding students including supervising their prep (homework), being a supportive listening ear if needed, helping with bedtime and waking up routines
- Assisting in the smooth running of the boarding houses in close liaison with -and under the direction of- the House staff
- Undertaking, as reasonably requested, a wide range of support duties in both the junior and senior schools as required (e.g. accompanying trips, undertaking basic admin work, accompanying students to A&E, invigilating internal exams, working in the school catering department, assisting in the classroom).
We’re holding a Res Grad Open Morning on Saturday 9 February from 9am to 12 noon where you’ll meet our current team, tour our lovely school, have loads of opportunity to ask questions and enjoy an excellent (free) hot breakfast with students and staff. We know not everyone will be able to make it, but we’d love to meet you if you’re free. To book a place please email Jenny.
What we are looking for
- You have a very good rapport with young people, can define appropriate boundaries and act as a positive role model to them
- You are self-motivated, proactive and able to take on responsibility
- You make positive relationships with all sorts of people, thrive working in collaboration with others and contribute strongly to teams you may be part of
- You are flexible, enthusiastic, and positive in your approach and be keen to get involved in all aspects of school life. You’re not afraid to ask, and to search for opportunities for your own development
- You are fully supportive of the particular ethos and expectations of Bootham School
- You have a sense of humour and the ability to ‘always consider you may be mistaken’
- You have a responsible attitude to work; you are reliable and trustworthy
- You can demonstrate suitable organisational and time management skills, possessing the ability to keep clear and accurate records and have good attention to detail
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
To apply for our Resident Graduate programme, see the full job description and further details on our school website.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 26/02/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 26/02/2019
Additional job details
£650 per month and includes free accommodation at our York city centre campus and all meals