To provide Campden BRI members and clients with excellent services in the area of information provision. The Information Scientist helps the organisation and its client with access to relevant, timely and accurate information using the latest formats and technologies
Duties and responsibilities:
- To participate in larger multi-faceted projects with a focus on gathering, disseminating and compiling information
- Supporting the development of new information services, including ascertaining customer needs and requirements and demonstrating these to clients, internal and external.
- Utilising strategic intelligence and information tools to be able to extract information across a range of websites including social media and proprietary databases.
- Participation in the promotion of departmental services, internal and external.
- Assisting with technical information enquiries including large research enquiries.
- To support other areas of the information department as required.
- To create, maintain and enhance effective working relationships.
- 24 days plus public holidays and a buying/selling holiday scheme.
- Pension scheme: Campden BRI operates a pension scheme
- Training: Campden BRI is committed to ensure all staff receives appropriate training to support their job function and business needs.
- Health: Campden BRI operates a ‘permanent health scheme’ if you are unable to continue work for health reasons and a ‘death in service’ scheme.
- Other benefits include subsidised restaurant/vending machine and parking on
What we are looking for
- Experience of extracting, summarising and presenting information in a variety of formats
- Excellent understanding and/or practical experience of database, search and information management systems
- Excellent awareness of current information science practice and use of the latest technologies in providing information in the appropriate formats.
- Excellent all-round IT skills including use of information tools
- Ideally experience of developing information-based solutions particularly in the area of situational awareness
- Ideally experience of data analytics in areas such as published research and patent information
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work under own initiative
- Ideally experience of information provision in a commercial or a membership-based organisation
- Good communicator with proven client skills
- Skilled report writing and presentation skills
Good communication skills (verbal and written) to confidently engage with clients (internal and external) to determine their requirements for information service provision The ability to provide extensive, individually-tailored written and verbal information and advice Ability to clearly explain complex information, concepts and developments. Ability to periodically collate and prepare written summaries and reports from a wide variety of sources Confident presentation skills to provide demonstrations of information services primarily at client meetings but also at conferences, exhibitions, member interest groups, or training courses (both on and off site)
Analytical skills and creativity
Ability to understand client requirements to determine the appropriate approaches to fulfil requirements. Competent interpretation in order to disseminate, distil and present large volumes of information Awareness of current developments in Information Services and Information Service provision in order to recommend new services and methods of delivery Ability to adapt to changing priorities or unplanned activities
Management of activities
The organisation, management and delivery of both internal and external projects to meet objectives, timescales, deliverables and financial targets. These projects can be short, medium or long term. Ability to manage and prioritise several concurrent activities to achieve deadlines. This can involve organising work flows and work patterns within own department and also across departments. Engage with other departments in the completion of inter-disciplinary work Adherence to departmental and corporate procedures Assist with general promotion and administrative duties associated within the Information Services Department.
Graduate or postgraduate level qualification(s) in information science accredited by CILIP, or related discipline
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- £25,000 - £30,000
salary depending on experience
How to apply
To apply please send cover letter with CV, via the Apply button.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 12 September 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment