City Year UK is a youth social action charity which challenges young people to tackle one of the UK’s biggest social problems: educational inequality. Through a year of full-time voluntary service in schools we give 18-25 year olds a platform to dedicate their talent to supporting children growing up in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the UK.
Leadership Development at City Year UK
Our leadership development programme is designed to help you make maximum impact in schools and develop as socially conscious leaders for life. We believe in experiential learning – i.e. learning through the experience of being in a classroom – and this is underpinned by training, which is designed to enable you to confidently transition from education into employment, training or further education.
You will be in school Monday to Thursday and on Fridays you will come together as a group in an environment away from the classroom to share and reflect on your school experiences. You’ll also continue to develop your leadership potential through learning sessions, workshops, networking events and running community challenges.
A City Year is a life-changing experience. As well as having a huge impact on the lives of children, it’s a chance to invest in yourself and your future. It’s a year to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and develop the skills to become a self-confident leader with the skills, passion and values to stand out from the crowd.
City Year UK offers you the opportunity to:
- Improve social and educational outcomes for children in a tangible way.
- Develop the practical and creative tools you need to deliver social impact.
- Gain frontline experience in areas such as child development and behaviour management..
- Explore your career options in social care, working with young people or within the third and corporate sectors.
- Gain key life skills such as public speaking, problem solving and resilience through our leadership development programme.
- Build life-long friendships with future leaders and social innovators.
Accepted degree subjects
Living expenses up to £4,400 a year in London plus travel expenses
Contract and working hours
Fixed term · Full-time
How to apply
To secure a spot on the City Year UK programme, visit our website via the apply button. Complete and submit the application form.
Closing date: 31/01/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/01/2017