Be the Change. See the Change. Join our year-long leadership development programme and contribute to tackling educational inequality from August 2020 - July 2021.
We are looking for young people who want to be inspirational role models, mentors and tutors to children who need it the most. Until July 2021, you will be a volunteer mentor based in a school in a low-income area, whilst improving your own career prospects through challenging work experience and personal and professional development workshops. Please note this is a full-time opportunity and therefore you must be available during school hours in term time from August 2020-July 2021 to apply.
As a City Year volunteer mentor you will
- Be integral to the school day and work as part of a team
- Act as a role model, mentor and coach to help struggling pupils succeed, providing 1:1 and small group support in class
- Lead clubs, projects and events to promote a positive school culture
- Support pupils’ academic and emotional wellbeing, creating a positive learning environment.
What you can gain from your City Year
City Year is a life-changing experience. As well as having a huge impact on the lives of pupils, it's a year that will accelerate your career and give you the confidence to lead from the front. 93% of our volunteer mentors go on to full-time employment or education after completing our leadership development programme.
- Bespoke Friday training sessions to develop leadership and employability skills
- A designated professional mentor from our corporate partners
- Access to accredited leadership courses
- £90-£100 living expenses per week, dependent on region, plus all travel expenses reimbursed
- Free uniform
Life after City Year: today’s youth, tomorrow’s leaders
Our volunteer mentors come from a wide range of backgrounds but are united in one common goal: to better themselves and to better the lives of pupils facing barriers to success. Over 1,200 people have served with City Year UK since 2010, progressing into careers within education, social work, law enforcement, finance, engineering, marketing and many others, as well as launching their own businesses.
What we are looking for
- 18-25 year old
- Allowed to live and work in the UK and no restrictions on working with children
- Based in London, West Midlands or Greater Manchester
- Available to work full-time, Monday - Friday, during school term time
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Greater Manchester
How to apply
If you have any questions, you can call us on 020 7014 2680.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 July 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 31 July 2020