During the two-year scheme as an OHL Apprentice you will attend block release training and learn the more advanced skills of your technical specialism. You will support the lead engineer and technical officers in all technical matters associated with the planning and construction of the allocated multi-disciplinary sites; co-ordinate, with the guidance and support of the fully qualified technical officers and engineers all aspects of construction and associated works with the other discipline; and deliver construction work safely to the level of quality expected by the company and the Client; to budget and in line with all relevant standards, processes and procedures.
Key success measures
- Safety – support the implementation of the Colas Rail Limited Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) strategy, associated actions and resulting initiatives, to deliver continuous improvement.
- Profitability – promote the need and use of company established frameworks. Assist in negotiations with suppliers.
- Quality – ensure all documentation and records are maintained in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9000 local working instructions.
- Respect – treat people in a fair and consistent way. Consistently strive to understand client’s needs and requirement.
Key areas of responsibility and accountability
- Record all site activities undertaken in a log book – subject to quarterly reviews
- Work under instruction and as directed to carry out traction bonding, reading associated diagrams relative to site layouts
- Work towards and gain the necessary knowledge and experience to becoming a fully Overhead Lines person, including becoming competent in OLEC 1 and OLEC 2
- Assist with detailed site/OLE/ surveys, review or check particular specification, designs or estimates, detailed planning, site visits and progress work as directed
- Will be expected to gain competences in all technical, skills, sentinel and behavioural duties
- Maths and English GCSE grade C and above and/or AS or A-levels providing a minimum of 120 UCAS points
- Be committed to complete a two year programme and work shifts that are key to operational delivery (weekends, nights and bank holidays)
- Have a positive approach to work and learning
- Ambitious and driven
- Team player
- Good communication skills (written/verbal)
- Have a passion for the rail industry
- A desire to continually develop
- Energy – ‘Get up and go’ attitude of a leader
- Energise – Lead, manage and inspire my team
- Edge – Maximise my personal edge
- Execute – Make things happen
- Engage – Stay close to the client
On successful completion of the two year, level three apprentice scheme there will also be the option to progress onto the level four apprentice scheme or progress within the business in the role of technical officer.
Additional job details
|Location||Birmingham, Brentwood, Bristol, Dartford, London, Tonbridge|