Advanced Apprenticeship Level Three (equivalent to two A-levels)
There are many routes to a successful career and an apprenticeship is one of them. It will give you the foundations you need to progress through the engineering profession and allow you to earn money while you learn.
At Colas Rail our apprentices will join us for an initial two year period. But we encourage you to think of this as just the start of your journey, as there are many other opportunities on offer.
During the two year scheme as a S&T Apprentice you will attend block release training and learn the more advanced skills of your technical specialism. You will support the signalling engineer, supervisor and team leaders in all technical matters associated with the planning and construction of the allocated multi-disciplinary sites; co-ordinate, with the guidance and support of the fully qualified team leaders, all aspects of construction and associated works with the other discipline; and deliver construction work safely to the level of quality expected by the company and the client; to budget and in line with all relevant standards, processes and procedures.
Key success measures
- Safety – support the implementation of the Colas Rail Limited Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) strategy, associated actions and resulting initiatives, to deliver continuous improvement.
- Profitability – promote the need and use of company established frameworks. Assist in negotiations with suppliers.
- Quality – ensure all documentation and records are maintained in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9000 local working instructions.
- Respect – treat people in a fair and consistent way. Consistently strive to understand client’s needs and requirement.
Key areas of responsibility and accountability
- Undertake on site signalling construction activity as directed, working with approved designs and signalling plans.
- Work towards and gain the necessary knowledge and experience to becoming a fully qualified team leader.
- Support the team leader with the on site management of projects, progress reporting and delivery of schemes as required.
- Will be expected to gain competences in all technical, skills, sentinel and behavioural duties.
- Support the management team with the production of construction plans, briefings and site paperwork as required.
- Use close calls and safety conversations to raise any on site safety concerns that you discover as part of your duties.
- Maths, English and science GCSE level of C and above and/or AS or A levels ideally in engineering or maths providing a minimum of 120 UCAS points.
- Be committed to complete a two year programme & work shifts that are key to operational delivery (weekends, nights and bank holidays)
- Have a positive approach to work and learning
- Ambitious and driven
- Team player
- Good communication skills (written/verbal)
- Have a passion for the rail industry
- A desire to continually develop
- Energy – ‘Get up and go’ attitude of a leader
- Energise – Lead, manage and inspire my team
- Edge – Maximise my personal edge
- Execute – Make things happen
- Engage – Stay close to the client
On successful completion of the two year, level three apprentice scheme there will also be the option to progress onto the level four apprentice scheme or progress within the business in the role of technical officer.
Additional job details
|Location||Birmingham, Brentwood, Bristol, Dartford, London, Tonbridge|