We are looking to recruit new graduate/postgraduate chemists and/or experienced professionals who are energetic and motivated to apply their knowledge to the international trade of bulk petroleum products, edible oils, chemicals and gases. All candidates with good degrees will be given due consideration.
A background in the refinery and/or petrochemical industry and allied analytical laboratories would strengthen your candidature as would any knowledge of the principles governing the international maritime transport.
Job role and requirements:
- On-site and remote investigations into the cause of loss and damage to consignments of bulk petrochemical and chemical bulk liquids and gases.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel internationally at very short notice (up to 10 weeks/year). Previous experience of travelling or working overseas desirable but not essential.
- Desk-based forensic review of documents and reporting.
- Advising on causation of damage, mitigation and prevention of loss.
- Advising on the handling and storage of chemical products.
- Technical advice on the sampling of liquid and gas cargoes and subsequent laboratory analysis.
- Liaising with clients, other interested parties and laboratories in drafting both specification and investigative analysis protocols to be performed on either joint or unilateral basis.
- Organise/attend joint witnessed analyses at laboratories worldwide.
- Attending on-board oil, gas and chemical product tankers both in the UK and overseas for sampling and cargo operations.
- Assist with company business development including industry events and client seminars.
The position is full time in central London and will benefit from initial international training and mentoring. Competitive salary to match experience with the benefit of an established productivity bonus and employee share accumulation scheme.
What we are looking for
- Excellent organisational, communication and report writing skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to work to short deadlines.
- Physically able and willing to work in ports and industry surroundings.
- Foreign language skills advantageous but not essential.
- Previous experience or knowledge of cargo claims handling industry, international trade and commodity logistics beneficial.
Successful applicants will need to combine a broad scientific knowledge with common sense to determine the cause of loss and damage, and to suggest potential remedial actions.
- Upper second or first class degree within the relevant scientific/ industry background (MSc or PhD desirable but not essential).
Accepted degree subjects
- chemical engineering
- biology and life sciences
- materials science
- pharmacy and pharmacology
How to apply
Selected applicants will undertake a remote aptitude test prior to being considered for interview. If interested, please apply including detailed cover letter and CV, current remuneration package and details of any notice period / availability by email via the apply button.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 07/11/2018
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 07/11/2018
Additional job details