Suffolk Coastal Port Health Authority is expanding. It is a really exciting time to be joining our port health team as we transform our services in response to the UK’s departure from the European Union, recruiting an additional 60 team members.
Our mission is the protection of public and animal health, carrying out a range of checks to ensure imported goods are safe for all of us in the UK. To find out more about what our skilled team do, have a look at our video.
This role would be an ideal opportunity for an ambitious graduate, in an environmental health, science, food safety or business-related area, looking to kick start their career. The role can offer you a great mix of both office-based administrative functions such as the checking and processing of import documentation, as well as out of office functions such as examination and sampling of foodstuffs (including allergens) and assisting with vessel inspections. The out of office functions will include a degree of lifting, working in temperature-controlled environments and working at a height. No experience is required in the out of office functions, as full support and training will be provided. You will have the opportunity to work under your own initiative but also with others as part of our friendly team.
Initially you will participate in a rotational shift pattern covering 6.30am to 10pm weekdays and 6.30am to 2.30pm at weekends which attracts a 14% shift allowance. This will soon be changing to 24/7 rota (day and night shifts), which will attract a 23.5% shift allowance on top of the base salary. This will be worked on a 12-hour rotating shift pattern (5 days on, 6 days off, 5 nights on, 6 days off), offering attractive work life balance. As this is a new service, the shift pattern will be kept under regular review to ensure it meets operational needs. This role is fixed term for 18 months with the potential to become permanent in the future.
Why work for us?
East Suffolk Council is a great place to work and there are lots of benefits our employees can access. To find out more about why we are so proud of East Suffolk Council and to hear why our employees think it is such a great place to work, take a look at our video below.
Some of the main benefits include:
- Great opportunities for training and development to enable you to build a great career with our organisation. As part of our service transformation, we have introduced career graded posts to offer a clear path of progression for our valued employees
- Attractive work life balance with the added benefit of 6 non-working days between shifts
- Generous leave entitlement (equivalent to 24 days a year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service)
- Local government pension scheme
- Free car parking
- Discounts on mobile phones, computers, holiday and travel, fashion and clothing, health and beauty and many other products and services
If you would like to be at the forefront of this exciting new service, we look forward to receiving your application.
What we are looking for
- Ability to organise and prioritise your own workload
- Ability to work in a systematic manner and solve problems will also be essential
- You will be enthusiastic, keen to learn and thrive on working in a fast-paced environment
- Ideally, you will need experience of office procedures, as well as good computer and communication skills
- You should also be mobile with the flexibility to work across locations for which SCPHA has responsibilities when required – including Felixstowe, Harwich and Ipswich
You will need a minimum of 2 A-Levels (or equivalent), ideally in relevant subjects (i.e. Sciences and Food Technology would be advantageous).
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- £22,183– £31,346
plus shift allowance
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 June 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 June 2021