We're looking for a creative, efficient and flexible individual, able to prioritise based on company needs while meeting deadlines. Reporting to the Head of External Relations, the successful candidate will have primary responsibility for providing support to eLife’s marketing, communications, and community-building efforts. This is a terrific opportunity to gain experience in marketing for the science world and start a path in science publishing, marketing, community-building, events, or other related career!
- Events marketing – arranging eLife participation in scientific meetings and campus-level presentations around the world, by booking event space, shipping materials, managing registration, arranging catering, and more
- Community-building – set up, promotion and delivery of regular webinars, as well as booking regular telephone conferences and periodic in-person meetings
- Email marketing – keeping contacts databases and mailing lists consistently organised and up to date, and using them to promote eLife events to registered contacts
- Distributing materials – assembling periodic mailings to the eLife community
- General administration – placing adverts, liaising with vendors, issuing payments, monitoring inventory, and providing overall support to the eLife external relations team
Terms and conditions
The post is a permanent contract, 37.5 hours per week, and offers a competitive salary and benefits, based at our Cambridge office. Applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for this vacancy.
We are a well-supported, not for profit, mission-driven organisation. We have a deeply open culture, and ideas are welcome from across the company, so you’ll get the chance to really make a difference. The size of the team means you’ll be able to get involved in many aspects of marketing, innovation and scholarly publishing. We offer:
- The chance to join a passionate and motivated team
- A great environment for your personal and professional development
- 25 days’ holiday, plus bank holidays
- An open and inspiring working environment
- A modern office in central Cambridge, UK only 10 minutes; walk from Cambridge station
- Covered cycle racks, shower facilities, free fresh fruit and snacks in the kitchen
- Lots of social events
- Flexible working hours
- A contributory company pension scheme
eLife is a unique collaboration between the funders and practitioners of research to improve the way important research is selected, presented, and shared. eLife publishes outstanding work across the life sciences and biomedicine and is generously supported by its Founders, HHMI, Max Planck Institute and The Wellcome Trust.
The editors of eLife are an international team of 300 leading researchers, led by Randy Schekman, recipient of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. In a little over four years, eLife has become an open-access publisher and a technology company with a team of 35 staff in Cambridge, UK. We have developed and run an open-source platform and have published over 2,000 first-rate research articles.
You will be part of a small and lively team based in Cambridge, UK. The successful candidate will need to be independently motivated, flexible, responsive, and willing to take on a variety of tasks. In addition the ideal candidate should have:
- Excellent communication skills – spoken and written
- Excellent organisational skills and an eye for detail
- Ability to deal with a number of tasks simultaneously
- Good IT skills including using AppleMac, Google apps, MS Office, and contact databases
- Ability to work as part of a dynamic team but take responsibility and to use own initiative when necessary
Qualifications and experience requirements
- An undergraduate degree
- One or two years’ work experience
Accepted degree subjects
health sciences · information science and librarianship · literature and creative writing · marketing and advertising studies · biology and life sciences · media studies and publishing
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Full-time
How to apply
Please send your CV and covering letter explaining why you are ideal for this role via the Apply button. Applications close at 5pm (GMT) on the closing date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Closing date: 31/01/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/01/2018