Starting out as an Operations Management Graduate, you'll be developing your skills to become a future business leader from day one. Right from the beginning, you will gain hands on business experience working on real life projects giving you the perfect basis to fast-track your way to a senior management position, once you have completed the programme.
Every single day, you'll enjoy getting to grips with new challenges and learning on the job. You could find yourself negotiating with unions, attending a Directors meeting or helping out at the many special events First Bus are involved with.
Your two year graduate programme will involve a variety of placements and experiences, some of the things you will be involved with include:
- Developing and monitoring commercial route networks
- Working within our operations, engineering and finance teams
- Six-month commercial placement including a commercial project
- Driving in service experience what our Drivers and Customers experience first hand – you'll even have a chance to get your PCV Licence
- Hands on management experience
Throughout the programme, we'll provide you with training courses to help you to develop your skills and knowledge. These will be a mixture of internal and external courses led by leading subject matter experts to aid with your development.
We will support you every step of the way by providing you with a syllabus and assigning you a mentor who will work with you to ensure you realise your full potential. It's very much on-the-job learning for people eager to learn from others, yet passionate to drive their own development too.
Where will I be located?
Ours is an industry that's always on the move so we need you to be flexible to adapt to an ever changing environment as you'll go on placements across the country. You'll move around our various bus operating companies to ensure you obtain as much exposure as possible to our industry meaning that you could be based anywhere in the UK.
What will I receive in return?
We offer a competitive salary, travel benefits, pension scheme, buy as you earn and save as you earn share schemes as well as discount and cash back programmes with high street and online retailers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What we are looking for
You don't need any previous experience in the transport industry, just the passion, enthusiasm and curiosity to understand how the business operates and the ability to align yourself with the business goals and values.
As a successful graduate within our Bus Operations Teams you will need:
- To be high-reaching with your sights set on a management role
- Some solid strategic awareness and the ability to see the bigger picture
- The ability to build positive relationships and collaborate with your colleagues at every level
- To have a real customer focus, being able to put the customer at the heart of everything you do to ensure the best customer experience
- A focus on safety and the importance of ensuring safety for yourself, the customer and your colleagues
As you grow your skills you'll help to grow our business too. You'll need an understanding of the knock on effect every decision you make will have. It's about spotting commercial opportunities, and reacting quickly and effectively to any challenges. You'll be as comfortable analysing data as you will be presenting proposals on new opportunities to improve the way we work.
We aren't strict with our entry criteria, there's only a few things we feel are essential:
- You'll need to have achieved or be expected to achieve at least a 2:2 in any degree subject
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Successful applicants will undergo a five stage selection process. Apply and we will invite you to complete some online tests. If you get through these, you'll be asked to undertake a video interview. This may then result in you being invited to an assessment centre, which if passed will lead to an offer for a place on the next graduate programme starting in September 2019.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 02/01/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 02/01/2019
Additional job details