What does the graduate programme involve?
Everything about this scheme will take you out of your comfort zone. Rather than follow regular office hours or sit at a computer, you’ll be out there – typically on site – gaining experience in Bus maintenance, repair and fleet reliability; together with operations management (including time with finance, commercial teams and HR) as well as project and contract management. You will go on a range of external courses to develop your skills, these include; metal cutting, welding appreciation, machine and hand tool experience.
Starting out as an engineering management graduate, you’ll be developing your skills to become a future business leader from day one. Right from the beginning, you will gain hands on experience working on real life projects giving you the perfect basis to fast-track your way to a senior management position.
Your two-year graduate programme will involve a variety of placements and experiences, some of the things you will be involved with include:
- Hands on engineering experience including inspection servicing, diagnosis and repair
- Depot engineering management experience
- Engineering design project
- PCV driver training
- Engineering performance
Throughout the programme, we’ll provide you with training courses to help you to develop your skills and knowledge. These will be a mixture of internal and external courses led by leading subject matter experts to aid with your development.
We will support you every step of the way by providing you with a syllabus and assigning you a mentor who will work with you to ensure you realise your full potential. It’s very much on-the-job learning for people eager to learn from others, yet passionate to drive their own development too.
Where will I be located?
Ours is an industry that’s always on the move so we need you to be flexible to adapt to an ever changing environment. You’ll be placed in one operating company but will move around our various businesses to ensure you obtain as much exposure as possible to our industry. There is a need to be flexible and you will more than likely need to move away from home.
What will I receive in return?
We offer a competitive salary as well free bus travel, reduced rate rail travel, pension scheme, buy as you earn and save as you earn schemes as well as discount and cash back with high street and online retailers.
First Bus are one of the largest bus operators in the UK operating around a fifth of local bus services, including 40 of the UK’s largest towns and cities. We have a fleet of approximately 6,300 buses and we employ 18,000 people based at around 70 depots. Since 2010 we have invested in more than 2,300 new buses across our fleet, helping us to improve punctuality, fuel and cost efficiency and reduce our environmental impact.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- High-reaching graduates with their sights set on a management role
- Some solid strategic awareness and the ability to see the bigger picture
- The ability to build positive relationships and collaborate with colleagues at every level
- Graduates with a real customer focus, being able to put the customer at the heart of everything you do to ensure the best customer experience
- A focus on safety and the importance of ensuring safety for yourself, the customer and your colleagues
Aside from your technical skills we need graduates who are comfortable dealing with people. A great team player, with plenty of energy, you're as confident managing colleagues as you are engaging directly with the public in demanding commercial environments. Above all, you're passionate about delivering the great service that our customers have come to expect.
Work experience or placements within an engineering discipline would be advantageous, although most of all you’ll be driven, with a keen desire to succeed and develop. This will be shown by your wide range of achievements – the societies and sports clubs you’ve been a part of and the interests you hold outside of university.
Qualifications and experience requirements
We aren’t strict with our entry criteria, there’s only a few things we feel are essential:
- You’ll need to have achieved or be expected to achieve at least a 2:2 BEng or MEng which is accredited by the IMechE or IET
- You’ll need at least one years work experience, including any part-time jobs you’ve had whilst studying, or completed a summer internship during your studies
- You don’t need any previous experience in the transport industry, just the passion, enthusiasm and curiosity to understand how the business operates and the ability to align yourself with the business goals and values
Accepted degree subjects
Contract and working hours
How to apply
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 04/01/2017