Great Western Railway's marketing department has been on a transformational journey over recent years. Rebranding in 2015, we have built an ambitious and successful team, with award-winning brand campaigns, expanding our reach across our network, driving an enhanced and effective CRM programme and working with some of the best known travel and leisure brands in the UK.
Our marketing programme will take you on a fast-moving learning journey with one of FirstGroup's leading rail operators, GWR. Working across a variety of marketing disciplines, this programme will provide invaluable learning and experience across all marketing functions, getting to grips with real-life projects, planning and strategy. You'll learn quickly going on a wide range of placements in roles covering brand management, advertising, CRM, loyalty, regional marketing and partnerships. You'll work with some of the best marketing agencies in the industry including creative, media and CRM building on marketing industry knowledge as well as agency management.
Who will I be working for?
FirstGroup runs some of the UK's most experienced rail operators, such as GWR, offering all types of rail services, including intercity, commuter and regional trains. Their experienced marketing team combines a wide range of disciplines including:
- Customer relationship marketing
- Tactical activation
- Ancillary revenue
- Business development
- Customer insight and segmentation
- Reporting and analysis
- Agency management
Joining FirstGroup as a Marketing Management Graduate you will be provided with the opportunity to operate as part of the marketing team in roles covering all these marketing disciplines with exposure to the latest marketing trends as well as enabling you to build a solid foundation of marketing expertise across all disciplines. Progression can be rapid for those who show initiative and who develop opportunities.
What does the programme involve?
The programme has been designed to enable a fast-track development in marketing, providing a broad range of experience over three key modules to enable the successful candidate to learn all key marketing and management disciplines:
- Stage 1: Marketing essentials. Based in London, the first stage will provide you with key marketing experience, from processes and fundamental marketing principles to help you onto the next stage of your marketing career path.
- Stage 2: Implementing your marketing experience with key accountability for specific projects across GWR's network to enable you to understand GWR's business better, working with other functions outside the marketing department. This module is likely to be held at one of GWR's other locations across the network (such as Exeter or Bristol).
- Stage 3: Management skills. Taking on responsibility for agency management and key marketing projects from London.
Please note – Stages 2 and 3 may be reversed depending on key projects available.
In addition to the above, as you gain more experience you may find yourself involved in:
- identifying issues and forming hypotheses and solutions;
- presenting findings and recommendations;
- developing ideas and negotiating with partners; and
- writing evidenced based delivery plans as part of the project submissions
Where will I be located?
Ours is an industry that's always on the move. So, you'll need the flexibility to adapt to an ever-changing environment, as you may find yourself on placements throughout our rail networks, you could be anywhere from Exeter to London or Swindon to Bristol. You'll move around our various commercial functions to ensure you obtain as much exposure as possible to our industry.
What will I receive in return?
We offer a competitive salary, travel benefits, pension scheme, buy as you earn and save as you earn share schemes as well as discount and cash back programmes with high street and online retailers.
We'll also offer you development opportunities which include:
- Development programmes and courses for continued professional development (CPD) and to develop specific skills, knowledge and abilities;
- Networking; and if applicable
- Opportunities to apply for professional training in field of interest that is relevant for your role
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status..
What we are looking for
- To be high-reaching with your sights set on a management role and a strong team player;
- Attention to detail, able to combine creative flair and insight with a forensic approach to data analysis;
- Comfortable meeting and working with a wide variety of people;
- Some solid strategic awareness and the ability to see the bigger picture with strong commercial awareness;
- The ability to build positive relationships and collaborate with your colleagues and stakeholders at every level, happy to travel across our network and attend functions and events out of normal working hours from time to time;
- To have a real customer focus, being able to put the customer at the heart of everything you do to ensure the best customer experience; and
- A focus on safety and the importance of ensuring safety for yourself, the customer and your colleagues.
We aren't strict with our entry criteria, there's only a few things we feel are essential:
- You'll need to have achieved or be expected to achieve at least a 2:1 in any degree – though business related degrees are preferable;
- You don't need any previous experience in marketing, the transport, or leisure industry, just the passion, enthusiasm and curiosity to understand how the business operates and the ability to align yourself with the business goals and values.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- UK wide
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Successful applicants will undergo a 5-stage selection process. Once you have applied, we will invite you to complete some online tests. If you get through these, you'll be asked to undertake a video interview. This may then result in you being invited to an assessment centre, which, if you pass, will lead to an offer for a place on the next graduate programme starting in September 2020.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 1 January 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 1 January 2020