Starting out as a General Management graduate you'll be developing the skills to become a future business leader from day one. We'll be looking for some solid strategic awareness right from the start. It's about your ability to look at the wider issues, the bigger picture. Your understanding of the knock-on effect every decision you make will have. It's about spotting commercial opportunities, and reacting quickly and effectively to any challenges. You'll be as comfortable analysing data as you will be presenting proposals on new opportunities to improve the way we work.
During the programme you'll get fully involved and will experience the following:
- Gain hands-on experience as part of our train, station and customer service teams
- Go on a placement with Network Rail
- Experience project and contract management
- Spend time with the Performance and Safety teams
- Join our Commercial, Operations and Finance teams
Throughout the programme, we'll provide you with training courses to help you to develop your skills and knowledge. These will be a mixture of internal and external courses led by leading subject matter experts to aid with your development.
We will support you every step of the way by providing you with a syllabus and assigning you a mentor who will work with you to ensure you realise your full potential. It's very much on-the-job learning for people eager to learn from others, yet passionate to drive their own development too.
Where will I be located?
Ours is an industry that's always on the move. So you'll need the flexibility to adapt to an ever changing environment, as you'll go on placements throughout the UK. You'll move around our various train operators to ensure you obtain as much exposure as possible to our industry.
What will I receive in return?
We offer a competitive salary, travel benefits, pension scheme, buy as you earn and save as you earn share schemes as well as discount and cash back programmes with high street and online retailers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What we are looking for
You don't need any previous experience in the transport industry, just the passion, enthusiasm and curiosity to understand how the business operates and the ability to align yourself with the business goals and values.
As a successful graduate within Rail Operations you will need:
- To be high-reaching with your sights set on a management role
- Some solid strategic awareness and the ability to see the bigger picture
- The ability to build positive relationships and collaborate with your colleagues at every level
- To have a real customer focus, being able to put the customer at the heart of everything you do to ensure the best customer experience
- A focus on safety and the importance of ensuring safety for yourself, the customer and your colleagues
We aren't strict with our entry criteria, there's only a few things we feel are essential:
- You'll need to have achieved or be expected to achieve at least a 2:2 in any degree subject
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Successful applicants will undergo a five stage selection process. Apply and we will invite you to complete some online tests. If you get through these, you'll be asked to undertake a video interview. This may then result in you being invited to an assessment centre, which if passed will lead to an offer for a place on the next graduate programme starting in September 2019.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 02/01/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 02/01/2019
Additional job details