Fladgate is a nimble 93 partner law firm known for its ability to work on fast moving, complex challenges requiring enterprising and commercial solutions.
Fladgate has a broad skills base that covers a wide spectrum of legal services across the business lifecycle and shaped to operate collaboratively to move fast and flexibly:
- Dispute Resolution: which includes regulatory, corporate governance and investigations, banking and financial services litigation, international commercial arbitration, insurance, contentious trusts and family, civil fraud and asset protection
- Corporate: including private capital, capital markets, M&A, tax, restructuring and employment
- Real estate: including planning, construction, real estate finance and real estate litigation.
- Funds, Finance and Regulatory: including investment funds, private equity, fund managers, asset and investment managers, promoters, sponsors and investors.
In addition to advising a substantial UK-based client base, the firm provides a proactive and efficient service for clients with international business through specialist groups which serve continental Europe, India, Israel, South Africa, the Middle East, Russia/CIS, US, Canada and the Asia Pacific region. Operating from London and comprising multilingual and multi-qualified lawyers, these groups facilitate cross-border activities for a diverse range of companies. The firm is a member of the International Lawyers Network, a worldwide non-exclusive association of high-quality full service law firms based in 67 countries.
Fladgate hire a cohort of 10 trainees and a cohort of 4-6 apprentices.
We hire our trainees solely through our vacation scheme. A week long programme of departmental exercises, presentations and social events to give students the opportunity to see if Fladgate is right for them. Trainees then go on to undertake a two year training contract, experiencing seat rotations and studying PSC modules.
The launch of our apprenticeship scheme saw our first apprentices join us in September 2022. Apprentices will work in one of our core fee earning departments for four years whilst studying for a fully funded law degree. In the final two years of the scheme, apprentices will join the trainees on a training contract. Please note applications to be part of our next Apprentice cohort open in September 2023.
- 1st year: £22,000
- 5th and 6th year: In line with trainees
Inclusion & Diversity
We know that to achieve our inclusion and diversity objectives we need to focus on a number of areas:
- Developing a diverse leadership - we have a mix of different ethnicity and genders on our leadership groups. We are working hard to improve the gender balance of our partner team and in the last 18 months 4 out of 9 people joining the partnership were women.
- Attracting a diverse work force. This means adopting a properly personal approach when connecting with those interested in joining our team including: ensuring fairness in our processes; working with those, like recruiters, who help us in this; a commitment that you will always meet male and female talent in our recruitment interviews;
- Engaging with everyone in our team to ensure they are heard, supported and understood. Encourage everyone to develop their own voice in shaping our culture, their future and our service to clients. That might be working flexibly or that might be a specific career programme - everyone needs different things at different times.
- Helping all our people in all roles to achieve their full potential. We provide training, coaching, internal mentors and buddies, whatever works for each individual and their own personal development path.
For everyone including our clients we are striving to:
- Ensure that contact with us, including for example at events we organise, is always inclusive and appropriate for all, all preferences will be catered for.
- Endeavour to ensure our teams working on different client matters reflect the right balance of gender and ethnicity.
- Develop and support our client’s own inclusivity and diversity objectives by running industry specific workshops and seminars together.
- Have regular open conversations with clients about progress around inclusion and diversity.
We reward our staff for their continued commitment to the success of this firm with a comprehensive range of benefits.
- Life assurance scheme – 4x annual salary (non-contributory)
- Annual holiday entitlement – 26 days per calendar year (full time)
- Flexible holiday scheme - buy up to five days extra holiday per annum
- New business bonus - calculated as a percentage of work introduced
- Staff introduction bonus - £1,000- 5,000 depending on vacant role
- Personal training/yoga – free weekly sessions
- Free online GP service - 24/7 online video GP consultations
After two months
- Group personal pension plan - 4%-5% employer contributions, matching employee contributions of 4% -5% (automatically enrolled). Processed via salary sacrifice 50% of employer NI savings added to contribution
After three months
- Company sick pay scheme
- Group income protection
- Season ticket loan
- Private Dental Plan – payable through monthly payroll
- Gym membership scheme – interest free gym membership loan
- Eye test vouchers – every two years
After six months’ service and end of probationary period
- Private medical scheme insurance medical insurance scheme (non-contributory)
At Fladgate, we recognise the importance of an agile approach, not only in the way we work with our clients, but our employees also. Flexible working allows our people to cut down their commute time (and cost!), organise their own day and ultimately have an improved work / life balance, all of which contributes to an improved experience as well as better wellbeing and engagement.
Flexible working at Fladgate varies depending on your role and responsibilities. As a general rule, for those who can work from home and have roles compatible with home working, we are operating a hybrid pattern of working in the office and at home. This is subject to change as the role necessitates and not a contractually binging agreement (unless stated otherwise).
Further clarification of this policy will be provided during the recruitment process.
The firm recognises the importance of the health and wellbeing of all our people and that is can play a part in promoting an environment which allows everyone to flourish and reach their full potential.
Our Wellbeing programme consists of four key pillars:
- Bupa private medical insurance (optional benefit to join after six months’ service)
- Eye test vouchers
- Optional dental insurance
- Flu jabs
- Weekly personal (group) training sessions
- Gym and sports club loans and cycle to work scheme
- Various sports teams and groups across the firm
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), available 24/7 and 365 days a year
- Counselling sessions available via the EAP where needed
- YuLife health and wellbeing app
- Annual holiday entitlement and flexible holiday scheme, and the opportunity to buy up to an additional two weeks’ holiday
- Resilience and stress management training
- Mental health awareness talks and training sessions
- Group personal pension and group income protection scheme
- Life assurance (4x salary) scheme
- Season ticket loans
- Fee-earner bonus scheme
- Client introduction bonus scheme
- Recruitment bonus
- Marriage / civil partnership gift
- Financial management workshops inc. mortgage and pension management
Social & CSR
- Sports and social events, organised by our Sports & Social Committee throughout the year inc. summer and winter parties, bowling nights and quizzes
- CSR committee and fundraising activities
- Flexible working policy
- Loyalty holiday bonus, rewarding long service
- PRIME work experience opportunities
- Student mentoring for LPC and GDL students at the University of Law