Are you interested in getting solid grounding in corporate secretarial practice and governance? This leadership training scheme is designed for customer-focused analytical thinkers with good commercial awareness.
Our role is to aid the understanding of all statutory and regularity requirements globally, to build and enhance trust, by facilitating decision making that aligns with our stakeholders and corporate governance requirements. We do this internally by supporting and collaborating with colleagues across the Group from the CEO down and are involved in corporate projects that impact on the future development and direction of GSK.
Develop your career
If you’re a graduate with the talent and ambition to lead others, we’ll help you develop the expertise to become one of our Future Leaders.
It’s our aim to prepare you for a future leadership role, so your early career development will be rapid across this three-year career path. As well as experiencing challenging job rotations across a variety of business areas, you’ll have the benefit of improving your understanding of corporate governance while gaining valuable leadership training in the pharmaceutical industry with the view to you directly influencing our growth and development. With first-class support and training, you’ll take your career into senior leadership roles and help us achieve our commercial ambitions.
What will you do?
- Develop a sound understanding of corporate secretarial practice and corporate governance;
- Create innovative ideas that add value to GSK;
- Build working relationships with people at all levels of our organisation, understand how the Board operates and interacts with the CEO and their Executive Team;
- Learn how companies respond to feedback from shareholders;
- Gain a detailed insight into a large, multi-national, and globally listed company;
- Help drive the delivery of our corporate strategy;
- Learn how to collaborate with our business partners and external suppliers; and
- Get involved in managing projects and prioritising a variety of tasks.
Throughout this career path, your experience will be complemented by numerous opportunities to meet with other graduates both during training and at networking events. You will undertake several core training and personal development courses, alongside additional opportunities arranged using your personal development budget.
Examples of potential job rotation exposure
- Involvement in company liquidations, incorporations, appointment and removal of directors, and the filing of statutory accounts for various subsidiary companies; and
- Management of equity investments, undertaking quarterly reconciliations to ensure accuracy, and the completion of relevant Securities Exchange Commission filings relating to our US investments in conjunction with external counsel.
Global Subsidiary Support
- Drafting of minutes, shareholder resolutions, powers of attorneys, letters of authorisation, authorised signatory listings, and relationship letters;
- Completion and review of confirmation statements, return of share allotments, overseas company updates and statutory accounts, undertaking filings with Companies House.
- Attendance at subsidiary board meetings.
Governance, PLC and Shareholder Services
- Undertaking market intelligence reviews and benchmarking to assist in maintaining and communicating governance structures;
- Ensuring GSK plc’s compliance with statutory requirements, listing regimes, corporate governance requirements and best practice;
- Executing stock exchange announcements;
- Liaising with shareholders; and
- Assisting in the organisation of the Annual General Meeting.
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Lots of responsibility from day one;
- Being supported in your development of new skills and encouraged to enhance your knowledge and seek challenges wherever you find the opportunity;
- Liaison with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external;
- Being able to witness the implementation of corporate strategy;
- Adding to the maintenance of strong governance practices and relationships with shareholders;
- Being part of large Company Secretarial department that provides ample opportunity to learn from other exceedingly talented individuals on a daily basis
- Being supported throughout your completion of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators qualification (or Masters in corporate governance) and given opportunities to augment your learning with practical application.
Our Future Leaders programme is designed to accelerate the development of graduates who don’t have significant previous professional work experience in the area to which they are applying. Of course, many graduates who join the programme have worked while studying or after graduation. If you’ve already developed substantial experience working in a professional role in your sector, while you would be able to apply for this programme, you may also want to look at direct entry roles in our businesses, as these may be the best way to build on your existing skills and expertise and develop a career at GSK.
Start date: September 2020.
What we are looking for
- A desire to develop and build on existing skills and knowledge;
- A self-motivated approach with the ability to prioritise, multi-task and be focused under pressure;
- To be a team player who actively collaborates with others;
- The ability to build strong relationships with, and influence key stakeholders;
- The confidence to trust your own judgment and influence others;
- The ability to analyse and interpret information;
- Good project management skills and ability to prioritise tasks; and
- The ability to adapt to change.
Degree qualified (by Summer 2020). Ideally your degree will be in legal, accounting or business, however a passionate interest in this area is more important.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- UK wide
- Competitive salary
How to apply
We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and will close this vacancy once we have enough applications.
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it’s the right thing to do.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28 September 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment