What does a Data Scientist/Machine Learning industrial placement have to offer?
The Molecular Design group at GSK Stevenage have an opportunity for an Industrial Placement student to join their team. We work in close collaboration with our R&D colleagues to apply computational techniques to discover better and safer medicines for patients. We have a diverse range of expertise, from machine learning to cheminformatics and molecular simulation.
We are partners in an EU Innovative Medicines Initiative project, MELLODDY and you will be involved with the data assembly, machine learning and data analysis as we contribute to the various workstreams of this ambitious, international project.
This is a computational role and will not involve any laboratory work.
What we are looking for
- You should have a good knowledge of basic statistics and a strong interest in data science/machine learning. Familiarity with a programming language such as Python is preferable.
- You should be thorough in the way you work and pay attention to detail. You will be able to plan and organise your own work and have the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. You have the ability to follow projects through to completion. Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential. Some knowledge of chemistry or biology would be advantageous, but not a requirement.
- You will have completed a minimum of two years of your undergraduate degree but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You will be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year.
Must be on track for a 2.2 or higher in a chemistry, biology, physics, pharmacy, maths or computer science degree.
Accepted degree subjects
- biology and life sciences
- computer sciences and IT
- pharmacy and pharmacology
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
The assessment centre for successful applicants is expected to take place during November 2019.
We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date. Applications will closed when we have filled our assessment centre dates.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 6 October 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 6 October 2019