Our laboratory science higher apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our research and development or manufacturing laboratories – the heartbeat of our company.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification- Studying for a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Applied bioscience technology.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
- Learn skills to provide animal care, welfare and husbandry whilst also gaining the expertise to perform in vivo scientific procedures and knowledge of Animal Scientific Procedures Act
- After appropriate training, you will be responsible for designing and conducting in vivo experiments
- Biological sampling and associated data analysis and interpretation
- Archive and manage samples
- Operate specialist equipment to develop new products, technologies and processes
- Report writing
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Building your scientific knowledge
- Learning how to prioritise and manage multiple projects, objectives and deadlines
- Shaping your own development and choosing courses and opportunities in line with your needs and interests
- Learning new skills and concepts
To be eligible for our Laboratory science apprenticeship you will need..
- A minimum of five GCSEs or equivalent at grades A*-C (9-5) including English language (not literature), science and maths
- Must have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top three A-levels (or equivalent) not including general studies
- You must have an A-level (or equivalent) at grade C in biology
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory Science apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a 3rd year Apprentice, I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology."
Our apprenticeships start in September 2019.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward
- A nationally recognised qualification
How to apply
You’ll be asked for your personal information and why you want to work for us. We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
Want to understand our whole recruitment process? Watch our video here.
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Next steps in our application process:
If you seem like a good fit based on your application form, we’ll invite you to complete our World of GSK online assessment. This will give us a better idea of your strengths and suitability for our apprentice programme. Please check your email daily to see if you’ve been chosen – and complete the World of GSK by the deadline given.
If you succeed in the World of GSK, you’ll progress to the GSK Life job simulation. Following this, we will be looking back over the whole of your application so far to decide whether you meet the specific requirements of the programme in the country you have applied to.
The final round is our assessment centre. We anticipate this will be Feb-April 2019.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 21/01/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 21/01/2019
Additional job details
|Location||Hertfordshire · Ware|
|Additional location information||Stockley Park (Uxbridge, UK) and GSK House (Brentford, UK)|