A microbiology placement in one of our manufacturing sites will give you hands on practical application of microbial techniques. You’ll be contributing to ensuring our pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare products are manufactured to stringent quality and safety standards.
During your placement with us, you’ll gain experience in areas such as:
- The use and interpretation of data from one or more of the following microbiological techniques / tests: aseptic techniques, identification of microbial isolates, environmental monitoring, endotoxin testing, water monitoring, bioburden monitoring, organism identification, sterility testing
- Validation of microbial testing methods for tablet or inhaled pharmaceutical products
- Technical report writing skills
- Leading laboratory investigations
- Adopting good laboratory practice
- Key laboratory techniques such as preparing samples and standard solutions
- Calibration and maintenance of equipment
Please note: some roles at the Worthing site will involve exposure to penicillin.
You will be Working within either the Quality Control team, the Aseptic Manufacturing Technical team or the Biotechnology and Environmental Shared Service.
- QC roles will involve quality testing and decision making to assure the best product possible reaches the consumer.
- The Aseptic Manufacturing Technical team involves using microbiology skills to validate processes, manage operational activities and change ways of working.
- The BESS roles involve taking products from R&D and developing them in various ways for future manufacture, within BESS there are roles available in fermentation development, molecular biology or microbial strain development.
You will be Working within our quality control team, undertaking quality testing and making decisions to assure the best product possible reaches the consumer. The work is fast paced and well structured, meaning learning is intense, but hugely satisfying.
Whichever role you go into you will be applying the skills you already have and developing new skills such as; team working, problem solving and building relationships. You will work with and learn from an experienced team of analysts and technicians; they will coach and mentor you during your year to help you achieve your potential.
What we are looking for
Must be studying an undergraduate degree in microbiology or combined microbiology degree (biomedical sciences and biological science courses are accepted only if intensive microbiology module included).
You will have completed a minimum of two years of your undergraduate degree but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You will be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year.
Accepted degree subjects
- biology and life sciences
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Additional details: the Virtual Assessment Centre for successful applicants is expected to take place in the week of the 23 November 2020.
We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date. Applications will close when we have filled our virtual assessment centre dates.
This opportunity has the following recruitment stages you must successfully pass to be offered a placement year with GSK for 2021
- Eligibility form
- Online assessment
- Application form
- Virtual assessment centre
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 14 October 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 14 October 2020