What does a Procurement Industrial Placement have to offer?
Our procurement placements will give you an understanding of procurement in a global business. You’ll have the chance to work on challenging projects and gain a head start in your future career. Procurement is about buying the right goods and services for the best value. And by getting the most out of every budget we can increase our efforts to help people to do more, feel better and live longer.
Procurement in GSK is a global function, with over 700 employees around the world, based in 50 countries. Global Procurement is responsible for proactively managing more than £12 Billion of 3rd party spend, managing c43,000 suppliers in 92 countries.
Procurement activity includes managing a range of goods and services that can be split into (i) direct and (ii) indirect categories. The direct category includes materials that are purchased that will go into the actual medicines, vaccines and products that GSK sells into markets worldwide. Indirect categories are goods and services that are purchased by the organisation to support its operations and commercial activities, these may include for example: research and development expenditure, marketing services, capital equipment, facilities services, IT and travel.
Global procurement’s objectives are:
- Increase our value delivery: drive savings to meet business targets, whilst ensuring quality and supply
- Make buying simpler: Procurement understands business needs and connects GSK employees seamlessly to the right suppliers
What will this placement offer me?
Your year with us will be spent working as part of a team on structured and challenging projects and activities. Procurement supports all GSK business areas, including manufacturing, sales and marketing, corporate functions and research and development (R&D). This is reflected in the range of placements available. Wherever you’re based, you’ll put into practice the business skills you’ve gained at university, learn from experienced colleagues, and network with a wide community of procurement professionals, customers and other undergraduates.
The knowledge and experience you gain will help you to stand out from the crowd and give you a firm idea about your future career options. As well as learning all about procurement, you’ll develop core personal skills such as communication, planning, organisation, problem solving, team-working and networking.
What we are looking for
Our ideal student will have:
- A sincere interest in procurement, the commercial world and the healthcare industry
- Ability to be a true business partner who can collaborate and build lasting relationships with key stakeholders
- Strong problem-solving skills driven by curiosity
- Good communication skills with the ability to influence others
- The capability to adapt to change and work under pressure
- The drive and confidence to trust your own judgement
- Strong project management skills and prioritising a variety of tasks
- Awareness and sensitivity of different cultures and diversity within an international environment
We need highly organised undergraduates who can communicate and network with their own teams and with other parts of our business. Above all, you must have the drive, confidence and commitment to get the most out of your time with us.
- You must be on track for a 2.1 or above in any undergraduate degree discipline.
- You will have completed a minimum of two years of an undergraduate degree but will not have graduated at the start of your placement.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
The Assessment Centre date for successful applicants is expected to be around February/March 2019.
We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date.
We will close for applications when we have filled our assessment centre dates.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 27/11/2018
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 16/12/2018
Additional job details