R&D work doesn’t stop when a product has been launched and is on the shelf. Changes to raw materials and processing, launching in new markets, dealing with risks and issues and addressing regulatory concerns all must be managed to ensure the products can stay on the shelf and continue to meet the needs of the consumer. This is the role of Product Stewardship; the group dedicated to managing the post-launch of products.
The PS Scientist works on these activities for the Consumer Health category, focusing on making changes that will:
- Reduce product cost whilst maintaining parity of consumer and clinical benefits
- Remediate product compliance issues to maintain the portfolio, for example, focus on sustainability and changes in Regulations due to safety concerns.
Delivering these activities means working with a variety of other functions including the Supply Chain, Regulatory, NPD, Commercial, Toxicology, Quality as well as external suppliers and partners. Organising and managing the work with these functions. Getting others to deliver on time while getting a deep understanding of the science that supports the formulation of our products means the PS placement is one where you will be involved in a wide variety of activities.
You’ll be expected to be a full member of the team with your own projects as well as supporting the rest of the Scientists with their projects. There will also be routine tasks, such as stability testing and sensory assessment, on products that range from cosmetics to medicines. So you’ll see a wide varieties of products as well as a range of activities, learning about the processes and procedures used in the development and manufacture of Global Consumer Healthcare Products.
So if you’re interested in working in a highly dynamic and challenging environment where you will enhance your scientific understanding across multiple technologies, but also develop your skills in managing multiple priorities, timings, communication, problem solving, leading projects and initiatives – then Product Stewardship is the placement for you.
The role covers a wide variety of tasks, including managing support and reformulation projects, creating and managing stability studies and working with a variety of internal or external manufacturers and developers. The role is an excellent opportunity to experience the role of technical product maintenance in shaping business strategy.
The duties involved in the role include:
- Undertaking practical formulation and testing laboratory work, learning about new analytical techniques and skills
- The preparation of product related documentation and development records compliant with relevant quality standards
- Attending meetings to ensure project deliverables meet each stage of the development cycle (“Stage and Gate”) or change control processes to proceed to launch
- As necessary, working with suppliers and third-party contractors to develop new prototypes (testing or manufacture)
- Work with other teams as appropriate (Commercial, Other Technical Excellence & R&D teams, Supply Chain, Quality, marketing, manufacturing and regulatory teams)
- Liaise with external third parties (Suppliers, Contract Manufacturers)
- Support the team with Technical Information Management
- Other non-project related activities such as organising team building activities and initiatives.
What we are looking for
- Demonstrates ability to take the lead, think and work independently, problem-solve, work effectively in teams and multitask
- Has a flair for creativity and innovation
- Ability to apply scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects
- Clear communicator in both oral and written form
- Computer literate & comfortable in a laboratory
- Basic understanding of statistics and its application to experimental work.
Must be studying an undergraduate degree in a Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Foods, Cosmetics or science-related subject.
You will have completed a minimum of 2 years of your undergraduate degree, but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You will be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year.
Accepted degree subjects
- pharmacy and pharmacology
- health sciences
- chemical engineering
- food sciences
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
The Assessment Centre for successful applicants is expected to take place in early February 2021.
We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date.
Applications will close when we have filled our assessment centre dates.
If you have what we’re looking for apply today!
This opportunity has the following recruitment stages you must successfully pass to be offered a placement year with GSK for 2021!
- Eligibility Form
- Online Assessment
- Application Form
- Assessment Centre
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 December 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 December 2020