Global Water Intelligence is looking for a talented Designer to join our team full-time at our Oxford office. We are an independent publisher and event organiser that specialises in high-level business intelligence on the global water sector.
The designer will work closely alongside our editorial, research, marketing and IT teams on our portfolio of digital products, print publications and events. There are exciting developments occurring across our products as we explore new ways of publishing our content, and you can make a key contribution here.
- Visualising data to create engaging information graphics. In the business we’re in, it’s crucial that we communicate data clearly and effectively. When done well, charts and infographics not only look compelling, but also help to uncover patterns that exist in the data, giving our readers a more valuable insight into the information we provide.
- Design of our digital and print products. The Designer will work collaboratively with our internal teams to create both print and digital design solutions for projects across the company. GWI welcomes innovation and creative thinking, and we would encourage the Designer to share their ideas for improvement/change.
- Working with technical content. It is often the case that new starters at GWI know relatively little about the water sector. We are looking for someone who is curious to learn more about the water industry and can engage with the information we provide, and can in turn communicate technical content to our audience through effective design.
- Maintaining a strong brand identity. We recently updated our company branding, refreshed the look of our market intelligence reports and designed our new intelligence platform. The next step is to develop the design and functionality of our existing websites and other information services, and the Designer would be key in creating and maintaining visual identities for our products that fit clearly within the GWI brand.
- Assisting with the editing and layout of our publications. As part of the production team, the Designer would participate in the editing of text written by native and non-native English speakers and the design and layout of our market intelligence products.
- Improving production processes. Publishing large amounts of data, text and visual content across multiple products requires efficiency and careful planning. The Designer would play an important role in developing ways to streamline production, through the use of tools such as XML, InDesign scripts and third-party plugins.
Six-month probationary period.
Global Water Intelligence (Media Analytics Ltd) is an Oxford, UK-based independent publisher and event organiser.
With an emphasis on value-added products, the company has grown from two employees to nearly 50 spread across three international offices over the past decade. The outlook for continued growth of the reports, consultancy, magazine and related websites remains strong.
Our head office is in central Oxford, but fewer than 5% of revenues are generated in the UK, ensuring that there is plenty of scope for international travel. We are a tier two visa sponsor.
The following qualities would be desirable in a successful candidate:
- Creativity and a keen eye for detail, taking pride in a high-quality end product
- Strong knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator is essential
- Previous experience in a design or production-focused environment would be desirable
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to balance multiple ongoing projects
- The ability to understand complex information and data, and come up with the most appropriate visual method of communicating it to a reader.
- A problem-solving attitude and a willingness to tackle different challenges
- Experience with web technologies (HTML, CSS, JS and SVG) would be advantageous
- Experience automating InDesign and Illustrator through the use of ExtendScript and XML would be advantageous
Qualifications and experience requirements
This position would suit a recent graduate or someone who has already worked in a design role. If you are highly motivated, creative and versatile, this is an opportunity to join a fast-growing young publishing company with a very international outlook.
Accepted degree subjects
£23,000 – £26,000
Salary depending on experience
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Full-time
How to apply
Number of vacancies: One
Please submit a CV and cover letter to Charlotte Massey via the Apply button to be considered for this position. We would also appreciate a link to an online portfolio, or two-three samples of work.
Closing date: 07/10/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 07/10/2017