At Global Water Intelligence (GWI) we have made a business out of providing the information that helps businesses solve the world’s water problems. We publish market-leading magazines, databases, and reports on the international water industry, and now we would like to expand our coverage of the Latin American market.
We are looking for an inquisitive and enthusiastic graduate who is fluent in Portuguese and Spanish to join our Oxford-based office. The position involves researching and writing accurate, interesting and exclusive information on developments in Latin America’s water and wastewater treatment market, which will feature in our newsletters, monthly magazine, project tracker, and GWI WaterData, our web-based premium market analysis service.
As a Research Analyst at GWI you will get to grips with new subject areas, ask intelligent questions, and investigate which data points we need in order to find answers. In return we can offer you the support of a friendly and committed Oxford-based team, opportunities for travel (when travel is allowed again), and the sense of satisfaction that comes with creating something yourself and being able to say, “I did that!”
Though we are currently working remotely during lockdown, we remain a close-knit group in which autonomy, creativity and new ideas are welcome. As part of our team, you will be encouraged to take the opportunity to grow and develop within the company.
What we are looking for
If you are a recent graduate that is fluent in Portuguese and Spanish, and you think you might be good at two or three of the following skills, we would like to hear from you.
- Interviewing people: if we are going to publish original content, we have to be good at drawing ideas and information out of people. That requires confident and intelligent staff who can network their way to talking to the right people and asking the right questions.
- Writing and analysis: Fewer people have time to read these days. It means that if you are going to write, you have to write well. That means being able to organise your thoughts and express them concisely and with lucidity. Don’t be deterred if English is not your first language. We can edit for English.
- An eye for detail: our business depends on our ability to speak authoritatively, and we can’t do that if our work is riddled with errors.
- Seeing the visual angle: people increasingly don’t consume information as text: they take it in visually. Feeding this kind of consumer is a challenge. It requires staff who can synthesise complex issues into simple graphics.
- Collecting and managing data: we are the main source of data for the international water industry. With that responsibility comes a number of important skills: a nose for the information that will make a difference, and a doggedness in pursuit of it; a dexterity in squeezing spreadsheets until they tell a story; a deep commitment to accuracy; and, an instinctual feeling for the reality that data purports to represent.
- Managing projects: most of what we do is a team effort, but getting great people to work well together is a skill in itself. We need people who are organised empathetic communicators to bring it all together.
- Seeing the bigger picture: we want to grow our business, and that involves having people at the front line who can see the opportunity to do things better.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Oxford · (though staff are working remotely during lockdown)
GWI staff are enrolled on a company pension plan and receive 25 days of holiday per year. When travel is allowed, there will be opportunities to attend relevant conferences and our Global Water Summit, held in different cities across the world each year.
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Please submit a CV and a covering letter to Charlotte Massey, explaining in fewer than 200 words why you are applying for the job and what you think you can contribute to us that would make a real difference.
We will discard the applications which do not come with covering letters. We will then draw up a shortlist of the strongest candidates for the position to whom we will send a skills test. On the basis of this test, we will narrow the field down to applicants for interview.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to offer feedback on any applications not carried through to the interview stage.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 13 October 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 13 October 2020