On Go-Ahead’s two-year rail management graduate programme you won’t be spending much time behind a desk! It’s important for you to experience all parts of our business, so you’ll learn about different areas of operations management by being immersed in several different train station environments and working collaboratively with our crew. We expect you to achieve the following:
- A thorough understanding about how our rail businesses work
- Understand the basics around operational safety and effectiveness
- Learn and experience what it means to lead people effectively
The role is hands-on – we trust our employees so you’ll be given plenty of work to do, with real responsibility and not just shadowing others. You’ll be involved in a number of projects and be personally accountable for making sure they are completed. It’s also incredibly varied – you can expect shift-work, and you may be in the driving seat of a bus one day and coordinating a project the next. You’ll be making big decisions that will immediately impact the people travelling on our network each day.
Your career is important to us; we see you as the next generation of Go-Ahead leaders, so we offer mentoring and support to ensure your development.
Realistically, we expect you to become an operations manager after the programme (e.g. station manager, train crew manager or similar), then progressing into a senior manager role within the next five to seven years. Before you know it, you could be managing large teams of people and be responsible for the safe travel for hundreds of thousands of passengers.
Go-Ahead has ambitious plans to grow internationally, so the more flexible you can be in your career, the faster you will progress.
Have you got what it takes to be part of a world where every journey is taken care of? If yes, please read the key requirements below and then apply today.
What Go-Ahead can offer you:
- A full induction to the group and hosting operating company
- Membership to the Young Bus Managers’ Network
- Real responsibility – you’ll be managing teams, dealing with operational challenges and making significant decisions
- Full support from mentors and specialists to develop your operations management and leadership skills
- Opportunities to develop and excel – we spend £22million per year on training, so make the most of what is on offer
- Career progression – a senior manager role within five years
- Free travel on many of Go-Ahead’s services
Starting: September 2019.
What we are looking for
- Commitment to relocate up to three times during the two-year programme
- A passion for the transport and rail industry
- The unrestricted right to work in the UK on a permanent basis
- This is a safety critical role. This means that a job offer will be conditional on a health assessment against defined criteria (e.g. vision, hearing, physical health) to ensure that you are fit to perform a task effectively and without risk to your own or others’ health and safety
- A positive attitude and the ability to inspire confidence in and motivate others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - clear, concise and engaging
- A customer focus, keen to deliver for Go-Ahead’s vast network of rail users
- The ability to work with team members at all levels and deal with members of the public
- Flexibility to relocate for three different placements (relocation bonus is provided)
- Forward-thinking, innovative ideas to drive the business forward
- Resilience and the ability to work in a high-pressure environment
- Skills in problem-solving, analysis and dealing with complex data
- Time management, methodical thinking, and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- A collaborative approach – keen to share knowledge and skills
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Determination to succeed and develop yourself personally and professionally
Minimum of a 2:2 honours degree in any subject.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Apply online by submitting your CV and answering two open-ended questions. We process applications on a rolling basis so the closing date may be brought forward. Candidates can expect to undertake a video interview and an assessment centre as part of the recruitment process. Please apply as soon as you can.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 06/01/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 06/01/2019
Additional job details
|Number of vacancies||Five|
|Location||South East England|
Placement relocation bonus