Are you studying for a degree in earth sciences, environmental science, geography or a similar subject? Do you have to undertake a Year in Industry Placement during the academic year 2018/19? If so, read on.
Last year we offered a one-year undergraduate placement within our Environment and Energy department - a fantastic opportunity to apply your learning to the real world and develop your skills in order to return to university to complete your final year, hopefully gaining a good degree as a result. So, we are pleased, once again, to be able to offer another 12-month placement - starting in early August 2018. The hours of work are 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday - a total of 28 hours per week.
Our placement is a varied role that combines both office-based admin and field tasks, so you'll need to be happy to work outside in all weathers. You’ll be joining a friendly team and be involved from the start, carrying out routine management of environmental and energy data, and administering the environmental monitoring and laboratory schedules. Your duties will include analysing water bills to identify unexpected usage, reporting leaks and visiting sites to find them, collating electricity usage across all of our sites, and preparing environmental data returns to the Environment Agency.
This is what our current placement, Hannah, says about the role:
‘I have really enjoyed my time so far at Grundon, and with the variety that this role offers, every day I am learning something new! The day-to-day activities change, and I am lucky as it is flexible to accommodate what I am interested in. The friendly team are very knowledgeable, and I have learnt a lot about the waste industry, environmental monitoring and resource efficiency during my time here. Grundon as a company has lots to get involved with outside the role as well; for example, I am a member of the Green Team, offering wider networking opportunities. I would recommend this placement to other students.'
What are the benefits and perks?
Along with the chance to gain some really great experience at the largest family-owned waste management company in the UK, we are offering a competitive salary and a range of other benefits, including:
- Pension scheme – auto-enrolment on your first day of employment. You contribute 5% of pay (true cost is less than this due to Income Tax and NI relief) and Grundon matches this.
- Perks at Work reward and discount scheme that covers everything from cinema and leisure attractions to fashion purchases and food shopping.
- Discounted gym memberships at participating gyms.
- Health Cash Plan to help you manage the cost of your everyday healthcare, such as dentist and optician (you pay a small monthly premium).
- Employee Assistance Programme – confidential and accessible 24/7.
- Salary Sacrifice – join our scheme covering childcare vouchers and you could save money on tax and National Insurance
Grundon is the UK's largest family-owned supplier of integrated waste management and environmental solutions, and we work hard across the business to minimise the environmental impacts of our operations, as well as those of our customers. We currently hold an award for being a leading green business in Oxfordshire, and we continually seek new and innovative ways to improve and enhance our own green credentials.
The successful student will:
- be physically fit and able to work on extensive sites with challenging terrain;
- have an A Level in (preferably) science or maths;
- have experience with Excel and Word, and be able to handle large data sets;
- have a good eye for detail;
- possess strong report-writing skills;
- have a full UK driving licence.
Qualifications and experience requirements
Please note that this placement is only open to those studying for a degree in earth sciences, environmental science, geography or a similar subject
Accepted degree subjects
geology and geographical science · environmental science and ecology
Benson, near Wallingford
How to apply
Closing date: 30/03/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 30/03/2018