As a Trainee Legal Adviser, you will join a training programme designed to enable you to act as Legal Adviser to the Magistrates and District Judge (Magistrates’ Court) in accordance with legislation and the Criminal and Family Practice Directions.
Why we exist
Magistrates’ Courts deal with approximately 95% of criminal cases and 60% of family cases. Dealing with cases justly and speedily, and in ways that meet the needs of our court users, is at the heart of what we do.
The role of a legal adviser is pivotal to the smooth running of the court. As Magistrates do not have a legal background, the legal adviser sits in court with them to advise on legal points, practice and procedure and assist with the formulation and drafting of their reasons.
As a legal adviser to magistrates, you are responsible for ensuring that those attending court, whether as defendant, victim or witness are treated with humanity and respect. Good legal knowledge and the ability to communicate clearly to magistrates and court users is vital to the courts ability to deal with cases justly. Success as a Legal Adviser enables you to make a positive difference to your community and society.
In HMCTS, we have begun a six-year Reform Programme to completely change what we do and improve our services for the society we serve by:
- Employing digital technology to enable access to justice by enabling victims and witnesses to give evidence in a less intimidating way via video link;
- Enabling self-service, where appropriate, to ensure people can get fast and easy access to simple judicial services;
- Streamlining processes so we can reinvest in improvements that benefit our customers;
- Progressing cases efficiently and effectively through the court by maximising the use of new digital processes.
As a Trainee Legal Adviser, you will be at the forefront of delivering this improved service and experience to our customers both in and outside the court room.
What we are looking for
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- UK wide
- £24,002; £30,845
National locations £24,002; Inner London £30,845
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 3 February 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 3 February 2020