As a Litigation Caseworker, you’ll help to defend the Home Office’s immigration decisions, delivering excellent customer service and helping to maintain an effective immigration system.
We are recruiting for caseworker roles in the Litigation Operations Team (Lit Ops) and the Specialist Appeals and Litigation Team (SALT).
This is an exciting, challenging and rewarding role; our teams handle legal challenges that are complex, novel, and politically sensitive. Some of your cases will have Ministerial interest and could help shape the development of UK immigration law.
Day to day, you’ll deal with immigration applications where an appeal or legal challenge has been lodged, defend those where it is appropriate to do so and provide a casework remedy for any applications that don’t meet immigration rules.
Ultimately, you’ll be responsible for the end-to-end management of the judicial review process, gaining experience in litigation handling, preparing cases for court and managing cost conclusions.
Initially, you’ll develop your expertise in a particular area – perhaps human rights or asylum – and as you gain experience there will be opportunities for you to work on a wider range of issues. With the support of your colleagues, you’ll soon become skilled at spotting which decisions should be defended and which may need to be reconsidered.
- This Litigation Caseworker role is a great springboard for an interesting and varied career in the Civil Service. With us, you will:
- Develop your knowledge through training and other learning initiatives
- Be supported with regular 1-2-1s to help you reach and exceed your potential
- Work in a way that suits you, with our flexible working options
- Be part of a culture that encourages inclusion and diversity
- Benefit from a Civil Service pension with an employer contribution from 26.6%
- Be able to progress to legal, policy or management roles in the Civil Service
What we are looking for
- Successful candidates must hold an undergraduate degree or be due to graduate in summer 2023
- Organised, precise and detail focused, with excellent drafting skills
- Able to anticipate and avoid problems and also to learn from setbacks
- Able to build trust and respect with others, internally and externally
- Responsible and accountable for decision-making
- Highly motivated and able to inspire others to achieve targets
- Able to analyse complex information and identify errors
- Able to comply with standards, relevant guidance and case law
- Able to make sound and legally defensible decisions
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- £25,750 – £27,650
How to apply
To find out more about the role, please read the job description in full before you send in your application.
You can also find more hints and tips about the application process at one of our Litigation Caseworker live events:
16th March 2023 at 12.00 - 13.00
22nd March 2023 at 17:00 - 18.00
30th March 2023 at 10:00 - 11.00
We look forward to hearing from you before applications close.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 11 April 2023
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 11 April 2023